ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon closes woman's account and wipes her Kindle

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
And this is why I got an Android to read on...
-Renegade (October 22, 2012, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have an iPad, but I'm not so sure that it's the device more than it's the software and DRM.

An example- I purchased a book on a gift card, and through a comedy of errors, the gift card was canceled.  The book still shows on my account, but I can't read it.  I had already read it (and it wasn't something I was going to read again), so it wasn't a big deal... but I never did anything about it so that I could have that image ingrained in my mind whenever I choose to use the software- to remind me of exactly what risk I'm taking.

But I thought it was on a book by book basis - not the entire account.

wraith808:
wow.
bad and odd and weird - and really bad press for Amazon.
-tomos (October 22, 2012, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

This has apparently been building for a while- hopefully this will bring it to critical mass.  I did a search on amazon closed accounts, and was surprised at how many hits I got, and the details (most of the results are from sellers, but there are accounts similar to this one in there also).  Eventually, this stuff apparently gets sort of solved, as long as you are diligent and persistent.  But their responses until that point are very disheartening, almost like they want you to give up.

TaoPhoenix:
wow.
bad and odd and weird - and really bad press for Amazon.
-tomos (October 22, 2012, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

(Sarcasm)
No No No, you don't get it, the more bad things they do, the more people like them! It's the Abusive Marketing concept. If you don't like them yet it's because they haven't abused your consumer rights enough. There there, we'll fix that. Then you'll be content. Not Happy, because that requires a brain left. But content.
(/Sarcasm)

tomos:
^ ;D

_______
It could be a case of mistaken identity (or maybe the woman did do something terrible in Amazon's eyes at some stage). But they really give the impression that they've thrown away the key.

I wonder are they afraid to be specific in their accusation because they would then have the onus of proof.

But the approach is appalling - they dont even give the impression of double checking their 'facts'.

wraith808:
^ I think its more neglect than any sort of policy with any sort of forethought.

And from other sites I've seen, it seems that the prevailing wisdom is that its because of copyright.  She lives in Norway.  And bought from Amazon.co.uk, which is against their rules.  But there is no Amazon for Norway.  And they originally let her purchase. (ref Forbes)

There's also more on speculation at that BoingBoing link above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version