ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

People Turning on Trolls?

<< < (3/7) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Note: liberties will be lost. But I don't blame the people screaming for redress. There will always be opportunists that seize on the what asking for additional regulations will present. I blame the people who knew better and could have kept the situation under control - but decided not to.
-40hz (October 22, 2012, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

But those people aren't the victimized ones.  Because the elected representatives couldn't/wouldn't get it under control, it's ok to the people victimized?

I had a bad experience with someone online trying to get into my real life.  It is for that reason that I don't readily give out my personal information.  I know that this is only the veneer of anonymity, but it is how I've gone on since that happened, as it was very traumatic when it happened.  I stand behind everything said online- other than a few communities and online games, I don't directly interact with anyone, partially as a result of this, and realizing that just because I'm who I say that I am, that doesn't mean that everyone else is.  So it's easier to keep a distance, and that lack of personal knowledge helps with that.  But I'm the same offline as online, other than the fact that I'm less thoughtful in person- my mind moves too fast for my mouth, and I switch topics at the drop of a hat because the conversation gets confused reconciling the two, making it hard to communicate.  Writing slows that down, which is why I like to write a lot.

Even if it's only a veneer of anonymity, why is it ok if someone decides that they are upset with what I wrote and goes and posts my name, address, and who knows what else anonymous posted?  Am I not entitled to share what I want to without fear that some pissed off person will go digging and it will be ok?
-wraith808 (October 22, 2012, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I *haven't yet* had a really bad experience online, so I'm writing from the veneer of anonymity from the proactive side. It basically works. If I really wanted to be funny I could probably send a nice chocolate chip cookie to Wraith808, care of Mouser, DonationCoder, blah blah. That's because Mouser is pretty good and we think he has more sense than Samsung to protect our credit card info. However notice there are no "Anonymous" accounts here, so that's the land where you get both the worst trolls and the most important whistle-blowing. I am content that there are no "FakeWraith808" accounts here. (How did Steve Lyons manage to get away with FakeSteveJobs so long anyway? Wasn't that a Libel/Slander suit worth millions?)

So "Online Handles" are a tale as old as time. And they work. I for one like my "Online Brands" and I make a point not to randomly post my worst grumpiness from them. And it turns out, basically no one online really ever needs my real info. I'm Tao, say hi, and that's all you really care about right? Names are this eerie thing where you think "Oh, now it's different, never mind the 30,000 words you posted, NOW I know you because I have a name". Really?! In some other contexts I do some social-meta experiments on that theme.

40hz:
So it goes.

People do what people do.

Why is there this odd belief (bordering on religious conviction in some quarters) that somehow the web (which is just another human creation) can possibly be any different?

TaoPhoenix:
So it goes.

People do what people do.

Why is there this odd belief (bordering on religious conviction in some quarters) that somehow the web (which is just another human creation) can possibly be any different?

-40hz (October 22, 2012, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Web IS different. It really is.

Not counting Penny Arcade memes, as "me" I am a clumsy oaf forever bound by the times when I commit glorious social faux pas. So anything I say is taken with mixes of pity and context. Online, I have crafted a solid online suite of pen names which speak by their words and not by the spilled taco on my shirt.

I can recall less than 20 ish really negative replies I have received to 5000 posts I have made on the web.

40hz:
But those people aren't the victimized ones.  Because the elected representatives couldn't/wouldn't get it under control, it's ok to the people victimized?

--- End quote ---

Sorry. Confused. I don't think I get what you're saying here. Could you maybe rephrase it? Thx. :)

wraith808:
Note: liberties will be lost. But I don't blame the people screaming for redress. There will always be opportunists that seize on the what asking for additional regulations will present. I blame the people who knew better and could have kept the situation under control - but decided not to.
-40hz (October 22, 2012, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

But those people aren't the victimized ones.  Because the elected representatives couldn't/wouldn't get it under control, it's ok to the people victimized?
--- End quote ---

Added emphasis. 

Government officials/others could have done something but didn't.  Innocent people get caught in crossfire.  Because government officials didn't address it, the innocents are just collateral damage?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version