ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ramdisk

<< < (2/3) > >>

Contro:
Okis Ath. This pc assumed is close and running well.
My only problem is with Autocad 2012 , 64 bits. First boot take 27 seconds with 16 GB ram and last generation pc (i7, DDR3, etc.) .
I would like to improve this first boot. It's excesive .....
 :-*

Contro:
Seven seconds second boot.

By the way. There is a soft for calculating and logs the boot time of a program ?
Even many programs.....
Control open time, close time....

f0dder:
If you don't have a very special need for a ram-disk, then stay away from it. Current harddisk are quite fast, and SSD's are even faster. You shouldn't need it.-Ath (October 21, 2012, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
I mostly agree - although it's nice having a ramdisk for %TEMP% - less strain on the flash memory if you've got an SSD, and generally faster. With 16 gigabytes of RAM, it's not a bad idea dedicating one gig to %TEMP% :)

By the way. There is a soft for calculating and logs the boot time of a program ?-Contro (October 21, 2012, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not, and it wouldn't be reliable anyway - there's no foolproof way to determine when a program is "booted" or "fully ready".

My only problem is with Autocad 2012 , 64 bits. First boot take 27 seconds with 16 GB ram and last generation pc (i7, DDR3, etc.) .-Contro (October 21, 2012, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does a second startup (after fully loading once, then closing the program fully) load noticeably faster? Disk access is a very small part of what happens during program/game load, and if it's taking 27 seconds... then you either have an insanely fragmented harddrive, or the program is not spending most of it's time reading from the HDD (a normal HDD these days can easily do 100MB/s linearly, so with an unfragmented disk, 27 seconds of mostly I/O would be 2.7 gigs loaded from disk... which I kinda doubt :)).

Some years back, I did a test with Far Cry 2 - putting the game entirely on a ramdisk didn't really have any noticable effect on load speed. Hard to tell without benchmarking, though, so... go benchmark! (You'll want a persistent ramdisk if you're going to install software to it - SoftPerfect might be worth checking out).

There's also another RAMdisk thread here, a bit more recent than the one Curt mentioned: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32319.0 .

Contro:
If you don't have a very special need for a ram-disk, then stay away from it. Current harddisk are quite fast, and SSD's are even faster. You shouldn't need it.-Ath (October 21, 2012, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
I mostly agree - although it's nice having a ramdisk for %TEMP% - less strain on the flash memory if you've got an SSD, and generally faster. With 16 gigabytes of RAM, it's not a bad idea dedicating one gig to %TEMP% :)

By the way. There is a soft for calculating and logs the boot time of a program ?-Contro (October 21, 2012, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably not, and it wouldn't be reliable anyway - there's no foolproof way to determine when a program is "booted" or "fully ready".

My only problem is with Autocad 2012 , 64 bits. First boot take 27 seconds with 16 GB ram and last generation pc (i7, DDR3, etc.) .-Contro (October 21, 2012, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does a second startup (after fully loading once, then closing the program fully) load noticeably faster? Disk access is a very small part of what happens during program/game load, and if it's taking 27 seconds... then you either have an insanely fragmented harddrive, or the program is not spending most of it's time reading from the HDD (a normal HDD these days can easily do 100MB/s linearly, so with an unfragmented disk, 27 seconds of mostly I/O would be 2.7 gigs loaded from disk... which I kinda doubt :)).

Some years back, I did a test with Far Cry 2 - putting the game entirely on a ramdisk didn't really have any noticable effect on load speed. Hard to tell without benchmarking, though, so... go benchmark! (You'll want a persistent ramdisk if you're going to install software to it - SoftPerfect might be worth checking out).

There's also another RAMdisk thread here, a bit more recent than the one Curt mentioned: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32319.0 .
-f0dder (October 21, 2012, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much f0dder. I'll take a good look.
I have installed seven on a 90 GB partition. usually I use bigger spacer . Under xp pro I have 150 GB. My intention is 300 GB for windows 7 system.
I doubt my new system under windows 7 64 is defragmented after the installation.
I will investigate about autocad 2012.
As you say is not reasonable.
Windows 7 and autocad 2012 are both new for me.

I make a short proof with Primo ramdisk and don't notice nothing.
I am glad now, perhaps is a long term aim in the future......
 :-*

Contro:
Uffffff .
I am a little Ramdisk 

;D
sometimes is really difficult decide.
I think better keep calm for a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version