topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ramdisk  (Read 6536 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ramdisk
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I am trying windows 7 . 64 bits.
I have 16 GB Ram memory
I would like to know if using a software like as Primo Ramdisk can get more speed or is enough with 16 GB of ram.
My pc is i7 intel
What software are the best to make Ramdisk ?

Best Regards
 :-*

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ramdisk
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:24 PM »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:02 PM »
"Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?"
-Read 7211 times

Thanks a lot Curt.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Nice post indeed, but I really I don't know what to do.
My system is , for the first time in my life, very fast with 16 GB RAM. I take all the memory with the virtual machines if neccesary, but I can copy, see a movie, open two virtual machines.....
I try for a moment Primus Ramdisk and observ in the windows 7 gadget indicator ram memory that with a ramdisk of 6 GB the ram memory up almost the same. So i don't understand why I may need a ramdisk to rest of my ram memory.
I was supposing that memory from a hard drive..
I think that an expert may use this type of devices, but not me.
Can anyone recommend what to do ?

Best Regards

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:33 PM »
If you don't have a very special need for a ram-disk, then stay away from it. Current harddisk are quite fast, and SSD's are even faster. You shouldn't need it.
When working with (multiple) virtual machines, the memory is used much more optimal for the VM's.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Okis Ath. This pc assumed is close and running well.
My only problem is with Autocad 2012 , 64 bits. First boot take 27 seconds with 16 GB ram and last generation pc (i7, DDR3, etc.) .
I would like to improve this first boot. It's excesive .....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 04:18 PM »
Seven seconds second boot.

By the way. There is a soft for calculating and logs the boot time of a program ?
Even many programs.....
Control open time, close time....

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:54 PM »
If you don't have a very special need for a ram-disk, then stay away from it. Current harddisk are quite fast, and SSD's are even faster. You shouldn't need it.
I mostly agree - although it's nice having a ramdisk for %TEMP% - less strain on the flash memory if you've got an SSD, and generally faster. With 16 gigabytes of RAM, it's not a bad idea dedicating one gig to %TEMP% :)

By the way. There is a soft for calculating and logs the boot time of a program ?
Probably not, and it wouldn't be reliable anyway - there's no foolproof way to determine when a program is "booted" or "fully ready".

My only problem is with Autocad 2012 , 64 bits. First boot take 27 seconds with 16 GB ram and last generation pc (i7, DDR3, etc.) .
Does a second startup (after fully loading once, then closing the program fully) load noticeably faster? Disk access is a very small part of what happens during program/game load, and if it's taking 27 seconds... then you either have an insanely fragmented harddrive, or the program is not spending most of it's time reading from the HDD (a normal HDD these days can easily do 100MB/s linearly, so with an unfragmented disk, 27 seconds of mostly I/O would be 2.7 gigs loaded from disk... which I kinda doubt :)).

Some years back, I did a test with Far Cry 2 - putting the game entirely on a ramdisk didn't really have any noticable effect on load speed. Hard to tell without benchmarking, though, so... go benchmark! (You'll want a persistent ramdisk if you're going to install software to it - SoftPerfect might be worth checking out).

There's also another RAMdisk thread here, a bit more recent than the one Curt mentioned: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32319.0 .
- carpe noctem

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:37 PM »
I mostly agree - although it's nice having a ramdisk for %TEMP% - less strain on the flash memory if you've got an SSD, and generally faster. With 16 gigabytes of RAM, it's not a bad idea dedicating one gig to %TEMP% :)

Probably not, and it wouldn't be reliable anyway - there's no foolproof way to determine when a program is "booted" or "fully ready".

Does a second startup (after fully loading once, then closing the program fully) load noticeably faster? Disk access is a very small part of what happens during program/game load, and if it's taking 27 seconds... then you either have an insanely fragmented harddrive, or the program is not spending most of it's time reading from the HDD (a normal HDD these days can easily do 100MB/s linearly, so with an unfragmented disk, 27 seconds of mostly I/O would be 2.7 gigs loaded from disk... which I kinda doubt :)).

Some years back, I did a test with Far Cry 2 - putting the game entirely on a ramdisk didn't really have any noticable effect on load speed. Hard to tell without benchmarking, though, so... go benchmark! (You'll want a persistent ramdisk if you're going to install software to it - SoftPerfect might be worth checking out).

There's also another RAMdisk thread here, a bit more recent than the one Curt mentioned: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32319.0 .

Thank you very much f0dder. I'll take a good look.
I have installed seven on a 90 GB partition. usually I use bigger spacer . Under xp pro I have 150 GB. My intention is 300 GB for windows 7 system.
I doubt my new system under windows 7 64 is defragmented after the installation.
I will investigate about autocad 2012.
As you say is not reasonable.
Windows 7 and autocad 2012 are both new for me.

I make a short proof with Primo ramdisk and don't notice nothing.
I am glad now, perhaps is a long term aim in the future......

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Uffffff .
I am a little http://lh6.ggpht.com/-zUq2YWU2tas/UISJxz3uQqI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/R4-PoRp3l_M/s0/imgd7fdb8e6aae21e1f4ceeadde96a487b9.jpg
Ramdisk

;D
sometimes is really difficult decide.
I think better keep calm for a time.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49 AM »
the other thread (that f0dder links) is very recent (September) -
The topic is exactly the same.
I'd suggest reading it all closely.

In search of ... RAMdisk opinions
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Curt, SoftPerfect has been updated, with 20-900% speed improvements - check last post in
In search of ... RAMdisk opinions
- carpe noctem