topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Court Rules Mobile Phones Cause Cancer  (Read 7477 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Court Rules Mobile Phones Cause Cancer
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Well, it's not like the rumors haven't been around for a while, but this time the mobile phone cancer thing is coming out of a court:

http://www.telegraph...rs-court-rules..html

Innocente Marcolini, 60, an Italian businessman, fell ill after using a handset at work for up to six hours every day for 12 years.

Now Italy's Supreme Court in Rome has blamed his phone saying there is a "causal link" between his illness and phone use, the Sun has reported.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Court Rules Mobile Phones Cause Cancer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:37 AM »
Who'd a thunk it? Carcinogenic, eh? Well, if it comes from Italy's Supreme Court, then I guess it might prove...something...
Me, I'd have preferred we had stayed with the North American Indian system of smoke signals, but they were apparently banned for being carcinogenic too.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:58 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:22 AM »
My question is: Why is a court deciding this? Shouldn't something like this be left up to science, rather than law? :huh:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:25 AM »
My question is: Why is a court deciding this? Shouldn't something like this be left up to science, rather than law? :huh:
Well, no, not necessarily.
It is possible that the bias is so heavy on either side of the argument, and the stakes so $high, that the associated so-called "scienctific research" cannot be trusted - e.g., you might never know for sure whether the researchers had been bought off or paid to arrive at a "proof" to a preferred hypothesis.
Under such circumstances, it might seem better to let the issues be properly adjudged in a court of law, and what better standard bearer for objectivity than Italy's Supreme Court in Rome? Italy being known worldwide for things such as, for example, it's impeccable laws, incorruptible judges, negligible corruption in society, low crime rate, and scientific and judicial due process?
For example, it was via an Italianate court that, in July 1633, the final interrogation of Galileo Galilei at the hands of the Inquisition ended with a banishment sentence and him being forced to recant his heretical theory that the Earth moved around the Sun...Oh, but wait...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:17 AM »
Well, no, not necessarily.
It is possible that the bias is so heavy on either side of the argument, and the stakes so $high, that the associated so-called "scienctific research" cannot be trusted - e.g., you might never know for sure whether the researchers had been bought off or paid to arrive at a "proof" to a preferred hypothesis.
Under such circumstances, it might seem better to let the issues be properly adjudged in a court of law, and what better standard bearer for objectivity than Italy's Supreme Court in Rome? Italy being known worldwide for things such as, for example, it's impeccable laws, incorruptible judges, negligible corruption in society, low crime rate, and scientific and judicial due process?
For example, it was via an Italianate court that, in July 1633, the final interrogation of Galileo Galilei at the hands of the Inquisition ended with a banishment sentence and him being forced to recant his heretical theory that the Earth moved around the Sun...Oh, but wait...

Hahahahaha~! ;D

And down the rabbit hole we go...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:04 PM »
We just need a court to rule that kittens cause rainbows and the world will be a happier place.

Here's my proof:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18 PM »
We just need a court to rule that kittens cause rainbows and the world will be a happier place.

Here's my proof:

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

@ 10 hours, do you think will it have negative affect on our health?

Screenshot - 2012-10-20 , 23_37_02.png
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 05:21 PM »
@ 10 hours, do you think will it have negative affect on our health?

Court rules that rainbow kittens cause 10 hour timelapses!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09 AM »
And Italian Court has recently made another interesting ruling:

An Italian court sentenced scientists to jail time for not having a functioning crystal ball ahead of the 2009 earthquake in L'Aquila.

Rarely since a Catholic inquisition in Rome condemned Galileo Galilei to spend the remainder of his days under house arrest for the heresy of teaching that the Earth revolves around the sun, has an Italian court been so wrong about science.

Today, a court in the central Italian city of L'Aquila, 380 years after that miscarriage of justice, sentenced six scientists and a government bureaucrat to six years in jail on manslaughter charges for their failure to predict a 2009 earthquake that left more than 300 people dead.

Read the rest of the article:

http://www.csmonitor...-in-an-Italian-court

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:18 AM »
And Italian Court has recently made another interesting ruling:

An Italian court sentenced scientists to jail time for not having a functioning crystal ball ahead of the 2009 earthquake in L'Aquila.

Rarely since a Catholic inquisition in Rome condemned Galileo Galilei to spend the remainder of his days under house arrest for the heresy of teaching that the Earth revolves around the sun, has an Italian court been so wrong about science.

Today, a court in the central Italian city of L'Aquila, 380 years after that miscarriage of justice, sentenced six scientists and a government bureaucrat to six years in jail on manslaughter charges for their failure to predict a 2009 earthquake that left more than 300 people dead.

Read the rest of the article:

http://www.csmonitor...-in-an-Italian-court

I knew it~! All them there scientists are nuttin' but no good criminals~! :P ;D

Bwahahahahaha~!

Who needs comedy central when you have court TV? :P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45 AM »

Those frauds got what they deserved.
History books show what happens to soothsaysers, fortune tellers, high priests and the like if they misinterpret (say) the pattern of spilled-out entrails of some unfortunate lamb that has just had its stomach cut open and been disembowelled all over the temple floor. No different today.

What the heck are these guys being paid for if they can't come up with the goods?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:51 AM by IainB »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 02:41 AM »

Those frauds got what they deserved.
History books show what happens to soothsaysers, fortune tellers, high priests and the like if they misinterpret (say) the pattern of spilled-out entrails of some unfortunate lamb that has just had its stomach cut open and been disembowelled all over the temple floor. No different today.

What the heck are these guys being paid for if they can't come up with the goods?

:Thmbsup: Amen! Tell them godless heathens how it be! :P ;D

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Allow me to shed some light on the subject:

Cellphones operate using a Microwave-band radio signal, mind you of perhaps no more than a watt in intensity during a phone call.

Microwaves of course cause damage to living things, although not as rapidly as ionizing radiations like those of nuclear origins. Those damages usually result in either thermal-like effects such as radiation burns, or molecular damage resulting from radiation interacting with matter.

So while a casual user will never realistically expect to see a significant difference in a measurable timeframe, it is still a potentially damaging radiation in measurable levels. People who recieve high doses of this radiation through chronic long term cell phone use will indeed experience an elevated risk of health problems as a result of the radiation recieved.

But considering that modern phones have such a low power output because of the dramatic improvement in transmitter and reciever technology in the past decade, the amount of radiation damage done by the average cellphone would be most likely less than the damage done by natual radiation sources such as Radon gas and Carbon/Iodine isotopes found in all organic materials.

So yes. Sound the alarm put on the tinfoil suit these phones emit dangerous radiation. But no, the amount of radiation they produce is tiny compared to how much you get from other sources such as microwave ovens, medical radiation, and natural processes.

As far as predicting earthquakes go, I could see it done the same way I calculate how much strain a piece of metal will take before it snaps. But for that to happen a few assumptions must be made: That the material is uniform in composition and strength, that the applied load is known, and that the temperature and pressure at time of failure are predictable.

The problem is this: That kind of model only works when you can safely make those assumptions.

The earth's composition is not uniform, it varies a great deal even among different sections of the same piece of rock. It would take a phenomenal amount of measurements to even approximate that level of variation, well beyond practical budgets and labor pools.

We can only ever guess at how much strain a given piece of rock is holding. In metals, you can measure how deformed a piece of material is to determine how much strain is on it before it breaks. But because rocks are non-uniform, this approach cannot be used because the rocks will not deform in the same way every time.

And of course, we can't control the weather or how many other forces are being applied to the fault in question.

So although it is theoretically possible to make a good guess, the amount of measurements and computing power required to accurately predict such a thing is beyond what is available.

These scientists should countersue using a similar arguement to prove their innocence, and claim damages money (to be used improving the science of course).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:14 PM by SeraphimLabs »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:05 PM »
And of course, we can't control the weather or how many other forces are being applied to the fault in question.

Interesting that you bring that up. Have you looked at any weather modification technologies? They've been around for quite a while. As far as I know, they're mostly for agricultural purposes (e.g. cloud seeding), and weaponizing weather, e.g. the cloud seeding methods used to create torrential rains in the Vietnam war. There was a treaty signed in 1975 or 1977 (I forget exactly) for the prohibition of the use of weaponized weather.

Then there are different geo-engineering programs out there.

I did some work for a government environmental group where they were going on about how the world will end, blah blah blah, and how they need more funding to prevent Armageddon, blah blah blah, and how they're developing weather manipulation technologies. :D It was just hilarious to read about "climate change", then have them beg for more money so that they can develop more climate change technologies! :D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:53 AM »
Probably no smoke without fire...Italy’s Rotten Judges