ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Dim rest of desktop/windows, except for focused window

<< < (8/18) > >>

Scott:
I ran WinFocus, and it wasn't what I expected.  I thought the "brightness" of background windows would change, not the opacity.  OK, I have no idea how that would be done, but they're still two different things.

I found using WinFocus unbearable.  My graphics performance (not surprisingly) decreased tremendously, and figuring out what was what became extremely difficult.  I'd see a couple of task bar buttons, and a couple tray icons (apparently, the ones that redraw themselves) but not the rest.  It was difficult to tell which window was on top of another, and therefore difficult to tell what would happen if I clicked in a certain place.  Basically, everything about the system was a usability nightmare.

I'm not trying to be negative, but opinions were requested.  Bear in mind that I have always hated translucency in Windows XP, have never used it, and never will.  And of course, I'm not the one who requested this application.  :)

Ampa:
Here is a thread over at AquaSoft that relates to Swiu's app iBlend that achieved the same effect as WinFocus (see above) some time ago.  Perhaps handles new windows and exclusions better than WinFocus does atm.  Still might be helpful for reference.

2ndly I have to agree with Scott that I personally do not like the opacity effect, but would perhaps like to see the brightness effect.  The dark translucent layer with only the current window above it seems like the way to go?

Ampa

skrommel:
 :) Here's a quick hack using AutoHotkey from www.autohotkey.com.

DimInactive creates a window, sets it's transparancy and changes it's region to surround the active window, thus dimming everything else.

Edit: Download and install AutoHotKey. Save the script as DimInactive.ahk and doubleclick to run.

Skrommel

--- ---;DimInactive
;Dims inactive windows
;Skrommel 2005

Gui,+Owner +AlwaysOnTop -Disabled -SysMenu -Caption
Gui, Color, 000000
Gui,Add,Picture,X0 Y0 W%A_ScreenWidth% H%A_ScreenHeight% gCLICK,
Gui,Show,NoActivate X0 Y0 W%A_ScreenWidth% H%A_ScreenHeight%,WINDOW
WinSet,Transparent,100,WINDOW

LOOP:
Sleep,100
WinGetActiveStats,wint,winw,winh,winx,winy
winw+=winx
winh+=winy
If winx<0
  winx=0
If winy<0
  winy=0
If wint=
{
  winx=0
  winy=0
  winw=%A_ScreenWidth%
  winh=%A_ScreenHeight%
}
WinSet,Region,0-0 %A_ScreenWidth%-0 %A_ScreenWidth%-%A_ScreenHeight% 0-%A_ScreenHeight% 0-0  %winx%-%winy% %winw%-%winy% %winw%-%winh% %winx%-%winh% %winx%-%winy%,WINDOW
WinSet,Top,,WINDOW  ; Rem this line to keep the task bar visible
Goto,LOOP

CLICK:
WinSet,Bottom,,WINDOW
CoordMode,Mouse,Screen
MouseGetPos,mousex,mousey,mousewin
MouseClick,Left,%mousex%,%mousey%
MouseClick,Left,%mousex%,%mousey%
WinSet,AlwaysOnTop,On,WINDOW
Return

mouser:
i'm a total autoit newbie but i'm getting errors when i try to run it - could be something i'm doing wrong.
any autoit people can help us out and maybe give some guidance ?

skrommel:
You need the latest version of AutoHotKey from www.autohotkey.com. Sorry about not explaing that, just so used to using it...

Skrommel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version