ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Readyboost for me ?

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
Readyboost is a marketing gimmick Microsoft came up with to soften the blow of complaints about hardware requirements of Vista. It won't do much good, and it won't do any good at all if your swap file is on an SSD drive.
-eleman (October 17, 2012, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wrong on several levels.

First, the obvious one: if you've got enough cash to put a SSD in your system, you've got enough cash to put enough RAM in your system that you can disable the pagefile entirely.

Second, readyboost isn't just for your pagefile, it's a generic 2nd-level filesystem cache (where RAM is your 1st level).

While it won't do you any good at all if you've got plenty of RAM, it can be a decent thing when you don't. It makes life a little less painful on my 4GB work laptop when dealing with Adobes shitty software... hoping for an 8GB+SSD upgrade soon, though, since that'd be a lot more pleasant.

4wd:
why a hidden partition ?-Contro (October 17, 2012, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

The hidden partition contains the software, (WinPE), necessary for the Startup Repair option and/or BitLocker encryption files, (if you've encrypted your boot partition).

If you don't have the hidden partition you have to use the Windows DVD to repair any startup problem and you cannot use BitLocker drive encryption on the OS drive.

MilesAhead:
(never mind - please delete)

Renegade:
(never mind - please delete)
-MilesAhead (October 18, 2012, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dude, seriously, that's just lame. If you're drunk posting, like I am now, just say so. Don't ask for a mod to delete your post. That's the pussy way out~! ;D :P ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version