ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: In Windows Explorer, Select Files By File Extension

(1/2) > >>

nkormanik:

In Windows XP, does anyone know of a plug-in by which user can select files by extension?  The plug-in can be added to context menu, tool bar, or some other way.

I tried FileMenuTools, but for some reason, although claiming it does this, it doesn't actually work.

If no such plug-in exists, or cannot be created, can anyone suggest an alternative to Explorer which works to accomplish the task?

Thanks!

Nicholas Kormanik

awopbamboo:
Couldn't you just order by the File type column in explorer, and select the first to the last in the list (of the extension you want)?

rjbull:
Do you mean, a simple way to mark all files with a given extension for further action?  That's trivial with Total Commander.  Put the cursor on one such file, press Num+, and all files with the same extension are marked.  Or, in ZTreeWin, log a directory, pick one such file, press Alt-T, E.  Or, in XYplorer, it's Ctrl+Alt+M.

nkormanik:

Yep.  That would be the traditional XP way of selecting by file type.

However, it's way easier being able to use wildcards, as FileMenuTools purports to being able to do.

I did find a useful solution that exists for everyone without an extra needed program, that should have been pretty obvious, but I hadn't thought of it before writing here:

-- Use Windows SEARCH, and put the wildcards, extension in there.

Sooo, Skwire, if no one has anything else to add to the discussion, maybe this one is done.

Ath:
I'd bug the author of these FileMenu tools to fix that issue for XP, and also add/enable it for Windows 7, as it seems a quite useful feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version