ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What A Different World Than What I Grew Up In :(

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
Okay... So can anyone cite an actual example of an outed cyber bully that really was tortured to death in the (digital) town square??

Seriously. Is the true crowd reaction actual, or assumed? ...The masses easily get bored (and move on) in a week I'd assert.
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I forget the guy's name now... but the guy about the controllers.  And that was considered a 'win'.  But it was a kangaroo court of the masses.  The extent... well, he did bring it on himself.  But... really?

And on the other side, can anyone quote to me an example where the said example made works?

app103:
Okay... So can anyone cite an actual example of an outed cyber bully that really was tortured to death in the (digital) town square??

Seriously. Is the true crowd reaction actual, or assumed? ...The masses easily get bored (and move on) in a week I'd assert.
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here ya go...a recent one...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bus-bullies-harassed-wake-viral-video-16634279
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyHKtJRYkjI

The kids received death threats, police had to respond to a hostage situation that turned out to be a hoax, over 1000 threatening text messages sent to one of the kids, in a single night. This wasn't limited to threats against the bullies; their parents, brothers, and sisters were also threatened.

40hz:

and two wrongs never make a right.

--- End quote ---

Nope. But three lefts do! ;)
-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had a feeling someone was going to say that.  :-[
-app103 (October 16, 2012, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;D

I figured injecting a little lightheartedness right about then would be beneficial. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
If something good came from it, like an arrest and conviction, that would be an acceptable resolution.
-app103 (October 16, 2012, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're seeing "the street" respond because there very likely won't be any resolution from the authorities on this one unless there's an ambitious DA somewhere in the loop.

We need to consider that an arrest or conviction will never occur because there really isn't any criminal law that directly applies to what happened. Maybe a prosecutor could make a case under some legal theory or another to extrapolate from an existing law. But that would be a fairly big legal stretch. And it would require a pretty broadminded judge who didn't have a problem "legislating from the bench" as they say. Not that it would matter since convictions of that sort almost always get overturned or reduced on appeal.

AFAIK, there is no law that says it's a crime to do or say something which results in another person committing suicide. Especially since suicide is generally viewed as a form of mental illness anyway. The family could sue for damages perhaps. But the simple truth is, unless you personally caused virtually all of the pain, and the person ended up killing themselves as a result, there's no direct cause and effect sufficient to be prosecuted. Saying something that exposed somebody to contempt or ridicule might have been considered slanderous. But that's a tort, not a criminal offense.

So in the absence of a specific law or an official action there's always the American tradition of taking the law into your own hands to address a grievance and/or right a wrong. I think this is just one more manifestation of it. Not to say I agree that bringing "Judge Lynch" in on this is the way to handle it. But I do think this is one of those situations where people have reached the point where they're saying "enough is enough." So some of the the more extreme examples of public reaction can hardly be considered surprising in this instance.

tomos:
... people have reached the point where they're saying "enough is enough"
-40hz (October 16, 2012, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is a good thing, quite apart from what happens to the people involved in bullying this girl. It also sends a message to people who are being bullied, that they dont have to stand for it either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version