ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What A Different World Than What I Grew Up In :(

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
Very moving video...

I'm happy to hear that the relevant authorities know about him. I've heard reported that there's someone of the same name currently up on [unrelated] sex offence charges in Surrey, BC - possibly the same person*.

I can understand why anyone would repost his details, but FWIW I (also) dont think it's particularly helpful at this stage.

* from the video on this page (on the right of the video image scroll to & click: "Online community tries to track...")
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Amanda+Todd+death+speaks+about+daughter+bullying+with+video/7384521/story.html

app103:
Exposing a bully does exactly that.
-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

If all it were was exposing them, I'd agree with you. If all he got from the internet was dirty looks wherever he went, that would be fine. If something good came from it, like an arrest and conviction, that would be an acceptable resolution.

But you know it won't stop there. This guy will receive death threats, people showing up at his home, his job, etc. And it will affect not only him. The people he lives with...maybe family, children...will also become the victims of the retaliatory bullies from the internet. And if they live in a multi-family home, other people that live there, who have nothing to do with what happened, will also become victims, when something like a brick intended for the bully's window misses and hits theirs.

He was one bully, bullying one girl. And yes, it ended badly, but he will be not just bullied, but terrorized by the internet, lots and lots of people behaving badly, thinking that the wrongs they commit will make it right.

Exposing him says bullying is wrong. Encouraging people to bully him by giving out his address is saying bullying is ok. It says that vigilante justice is a good thing. You make him the victim of an internet lynch mob who will show up with the equivalent of torches and pitchforks. And I can't support that.

and two wrongs never make a right.

--- End quote ---

Nope. But three lefts do! ;)
--- End quote ---

I had a feeling someone was going to say that.  :-[

Stoic Joker:
Bullying flourishes in the shadows. I don't think it's ever wise to allow them to operate anonymously or unchallenged. Exposing them for what they are, and exposing what they do to as many people as possible, is the first step in dealing with the problem - even if it serves no other function than forcing those in a position of authority to take action.-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be in my experience as well ... except the authorities were never really that useful/helpful

Because believe me, schools would rather not deal with the issue at all from what I've seen. And anything they can do to "not see" the problem has been their SOP so far-40hz (October 16, 2012, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Never having been popular in school I can well confirm this phenomenon at close range. Some people are taught to (be leaders) defend their position, and others are taught to (be drones) not make waves ... Guess which group is most likely to wear the target?

I was taught to not make waves ... And spent a good deal of "quality" time wearing my as assigned target.

Once I managed to grasp on my own that the occasional wavy is necessary ...(and began defending my position)... The bullies went elseware to fine easier targets.

Sometimes the only way to deal with an intermittent problem is to watch it (or push it) until it finally reveals itself. Once the problem is clearly identified, you can then work on finding a more permanent fix.

--- End quote ---

It allows others to learn by (negative) example..

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

There are constructive means to do so, and unconstructive means to do so.  The internet is neither forgiving, nor discriminate, nor united.  Justice is what is deserved in these situations- but an exact level applied, not going around 'nuking ants'.  Exposing these things on the internet at large is the equivalent of 'using a nuke on an ant' in my opinion.  Nothing good comes of it, and nothing is learned.  It's a lot like the death penalty- it's supposed to be preventative, but instead, it's purely punitive.  People *don't* think about these things before they do them because (a) they think they're smarter, or a special case, or (b) something else is wrong with the person.  So why put them in the public stockade and cut their head off other than for a spectacle?  The information and evidence needs to be put into the right hands to be taken care of systematically, and legally.  Vigilantism only propagates the problem to a different stage, IMO.

It allows others to learn by (negative) example..
-Stoic Joker (October 16, 2012, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe that's the purpose, but it does pretty bad job.

Stoic Joker:
Okay... So can anyone cite an actual example of an outed cyber bully that really was tortured to death in the (digital) town square??

Seriously. Is the true crowd reaction actual, or assumed? ...The masses easily get bored (and move on) in a week I'd assert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version