topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple Tracking Users Again  (Read 2847 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Apple Tracking Users Again
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:43 AM »
While Apple is generally tight-lipped about their products before release, they also seem to be pretty tight-lipped about some "features" after their product's release...

http://www.businessi...campaign=advertising

Apple's launch of the iPhone 5 in September came with a bunch of new commercials to promote the device.

But Apple didn't shout quite so loud about an enhancement to its new mobile operating system, iOS 6, which also occurred in September: The company has started tracking users so that advertisers can target them again, through a new tracking technology called IFA or IDFA.

Previously, Apple had all but disabled tracking of iPhone users by advertisers when it stopped app developers from utilizing Apple mobile device data via UDID, the unique, permanent, non-deletable serial number that previously identified every Apple device.

For the last few months, iPhone users have enjoyed an unusual environment in which advertisers have been largely unable to track and target them in any meaningful way.

In iOS 6, however, tracking is most definitely back on, and it's more effective than ever, multiple mobile advertising executives familiar with IFA tell us. (Note that Apple doesn't mention IFA in its iOS 6 launch page).

Users can switch off that targeting, but it's tricky, as we discovered a couple of days ago. Although at least iOS 6 users are able to turn off tracking, which they weren't before.

More at the article there, as per usual.

Anyways, a bit of an interesting twist of events there for privacy for Apple iDevice users.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple Tracking Users Again
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30 AM »
"The tracking control is titled "Limit Ad Tracking," and must be turned to ON, not OFF, in order to work. That's slightly confusing — "ON" means ads are off! — so a large number of people will likely get this wrong."

I wouldn't have found this, and I follow this stuff. I just switched it off now.

P.s. I am also looking at other iPhone browsers.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33 AM »
"The tracking control is titled "Limit Ad Tracking," and must be turned to ON, not OFF, in order to work. That's slightly confusing — "ON" means ads are off! — so a large number of people will likely get this wrong."

I wouldn't have found this, and I follow this stuff. I just switched it off now.

P.s. I am also looking at other iPhone browsers.

Ignorance is Strength...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Interesting that it's called "Limit Ad Tracking", and not Disable Ad Tracking. Sounds like they are reserving the right to let a few things slip later on.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Interesting that it's called "Limit Ad Tracking", and not Disable Ad Tracking. Sounds like they are reserving the right to let a few things slip later on.

Yep. Ignorance is Strength! :)