topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: windows alternative to android document scanners (like camscanner or mdscan)  (Read 22621 times)

wikke

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey all, nice forum you guys have here.

I'm looking for a windows program which basically does the same thing as an android app as camscanner.

What does camscanner do? (and other similar programs on android or iOS)

1) You take a picture of a document using the app
2) The program detects the edges of the page you're trying to digitize so you can crop the picture (and perhaps corrects skewed edges)
3) Does some postprocessing to improve contrast or poor lighting (this site shows a neat example of the result: http://staff.washing...n.edu/corey/camscan/ )
( 4) Stores the page and others in a logical system using tags or something.. )

I tried some mobile programs (like camscanner) but they usually have their own way of storing files.
Also it's more handy to archive them directly to PC than go via phone.
Most of them output to PDF which is a no go for me as well.

So I'm looking for a windows program which mimics this behavior.
So I would start with .jpg's which are taken by a digital camera or phone, then run them throught the program to crop them (having had the edges detected automatically), and then applying some post-processing.

Resulting in a clean .jpg file via the aforementioned process would do just fine.
I prefer .jpg or .tiff or something over pdf.
I'm not looking for an advanced way to store them in a database - though any free or oss solutions might be worth mentioning?

I found a thread on the forum about scanning documents (using a printer or scanner) and archiving them somehow, but this is not my main focus.
Also many programs mentioned in the thread from 2007 are now abandoned.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to suggest them...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
You could try my Screenshot Captor tool.

It's of course not designed primarily for this kind of use, but has a scanner toolbar with options to do much of what you are asking for, including automatic skew correction, automatic cropping, and quick enhancement.

This screencast video shows the scanner-related features in use:
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc13/sc13.html

Note that Screenshot Captor does not care if you actually get the images from a scanner, or whether you just drag+drop them into the screenshot folder, etc., or what format the files are in.

There are also some excellent commercial tools for managing and manipulating scanned documents, like PaperPort.

wikke

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser, thanks for the suggestion.
It definitely is a nice tool albeit already too advanced for this type of work.

I can identify 2 pitfalls:

- The mobile apps tend to detect the page edges/skewing quite effectively and automatically.
This takes some effort with your tool by having to adjust the angles manually (your tool has ofcourse the advantage of allowing for more precise editing).

- The color algorithm doesn't seem to be optimized for archival of documents (or perhaps I'm mistaken)
This website really illustrates well what I'm looking for in terms of post-processing: http://staff.washing...n.edu/corey/camscan/

In the mobile apps you basically just have to rotate the page 90° if necessary.
The rest is all done automatically (cropping / correcting skewing / postprocessing / storing).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
there is a button on the sc toolbar for auto skew detection; you only have to manually rotate to correct mistakes.

wikke

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe this video can show what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=vu3oLT1xHcU

The program
- automatically detects the page you scanned
- isolates & crops it
- applies a color filter so the result is clearly readable

The more automatically the better I guesss, because usually you're scanning multiple pages.