ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Remember to make full drive image backups

<< < (7/7)

tomos:
I have versioned document backups running in real time, onto a separate hard drive mounted on my pc; I do this to protect myself from accidentally deleted a file i later realize i need, or making changes to a document that i realize i shouldn't have, etc.  This has to run all the time.

Now this dual approach takes care of most of my WORRIES.  However, I have recently forced myself to use an online backup system.
-mouser (October 20, 2012, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I back up [my versioned backups of important stuff] online.
Should do the off-site backup as well but dont ...

rgdot:
So this begs another question may be in another thread, beside the big usual places (newegg, etc.) where can I find cheap external hds shipped to Canada?

IainB:
Just thought it might be useful to make a side note in this discussion thread about the Volume Shadow Copy facility and in particular ShadowExplorer, if you don't have access to Volume Shadow Copies.
In the event that you didn't make a full drive image backup, or had somehow irretrievably lost/deleted something prior to backup, then accessing a VSC might just save your bacon. Not to be relied upon as a standard backup/recovery tool though.

I don't think I had heard of ShadowExplorer before reading of it in the DC Forum:

* Re: Special File Recovery Software
* Re: IDEA: TELL me how many objects I am deleting!
* Re: What are the options for restricting access to applications?
As it says on the ShadowExplorer pages:
ShadowExplorer
Since the Volume Shadow Copy Service is included, and turned on by default, in all editions of Windows Vista/7, why not take advantage of it? All it takes is an additional tool like ShadowExplorer, that can access the shadow storage and make the point-in-time copies accessible to the user.

Features
    * Show available point-in-time copies
    * Browse through Shadow Copies
    * Retrieve versions of files and folders

--- End quote ---

wraith808:
^ Thanks for bumping that.  It looks quite interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version