ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Remember to make full drive image backups

<< < (5/7) > >>

edbro:
I use a 3 point strategy. When I originally install a new OS I set it up just how I like it and image it before I install any other software. Now, I'm never more than 20 minutes away from a fresh, clean install. I sometimes create a differential image after installing my software but I prefer to reinstall them manually after applying the base image.

For file backups I use Syncback Pro to backup to my NAS.

For versioning I rely on Dropbox to do that for me. I've had occasion to use this feature and it is really good.

Carol Haynes:
Paragon still provide WinPE start up disks but not prebuilt. You have to download and install Windows AIK from MS then use Paragon's tool to build the disk. Previously they provided an ISO prebuilt. You can also burn a Linux startup CD version but I prefer to use WinPE with pure windows systems as I have had a few issues with Linux based boot CDs in the past.

SyncBack Pro, SE or even free provide a good solution for making mirror backups, even across a network.

I still use FileHamster for versioning.

mouser:
You know what thing we need to add to our "kit" of tools recommended for dealing with data loss situations is: A second PC.

A decade ago that advice would be impractical for most folks due to the price of computers.  But these days, having a second PC you can use to help you deal with data loss situationsis practical and extremely helpful -- i dare say essential.

Whether it's being able to surf the web, download stuff, burn cds, copy hard drives, etc., a second PC makes recovering from data loss a million times easier.

40hz:
Also add a "live" bootable Linux CD/DVD (or USB key) to the toolkit.

You don't need one of the "system rescue" distros either. Anything with a a Gnome desktop (to make things easy for a Windows users) will do.

When Windows flat out refuses to boot, juts pop in the CD/DVD/USB key, boot from that, and move your files over to an external drive.

Far from ideal - but at least you'll be able to copy your data off the harddrive without too much of a hassle prior to reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

Sometimes when things go completely south and your images and backups aren't working (for whatever reason) this is your only alternative. :Thmbsup:

SeraphimLabs:
I actually don't bother backing up the workstations at work.

Everything important on them is saved to the company server, and all of the software they use has the installers in a secure on-site archive.

Then what happens is if a workstation gets damaged, wipe and reload with a max typical downtime of 2 hours.

The server itself stores everything on a RAID1 array, with twice-daily rysnc to an external hard drive, and a weekly encrypted rsync to an offsite server.

Always make 3 copies of anything important, and store them separately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version