ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Hot Tech on Tech Pron

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
^Nope!  ;D

I draw the line (usually) at 3NF. Never once saw an advantage to taking it beyond that in any database I ever designed due to how the engines I used (FoxBase/Paradox/R:BASE) actually worked rather than how Jedi Master Ted Codd said they should. 8)

(P.S. 40hz does not go down into the basement anymore. So that's a good place to hide from him if you ever feel the need! :P)

Renegade:
^^ I won't disagree in principle...

However... I don't think a DB should be designed in 3NF. Starting in 5NF is the best approach. After that, you can denormalize down to 3NF, and 2NF if absolutely necessary. But the 5NF principle is the best starting point. From there, you clearly understand everything, and the 3NF is just a subclass of 5NF, and easier to deal with. But not understanding the 5NF for a DB is just, well, I don't like it. :P

40hz:

However... I don't think a DB should be designed in 3NF. Starting in 5NF is the best approach. After that, you can denormalize down to 3NF, and 2NF if absolutely necessary. But the 5NF principle is the best starting point. From there, you clearly understand everything, and the 3NF is just a subclass of 5NF, and easier to deal with. But not understanding the 5NF for a DB is just, well, I don't like it. :P
-Renegade (October 14, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. And that's why you're a coder and I'm in systems. ;D

Renegade:

-Renegade (October 14, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. And that's why you're a coder and I'm in systems. ;D
-40hz (October 14, 2012, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

A while back I was doing optimization for a MySQL database. It was quite fun! You really need to dig down pretty deep to find out WHY/HOW things work the way they do, and then work your design based on that. Sticking to XNF theory just isn't useful as everything comes down to implementation.

I still think I enjoy the purity of abstracting data into a normal form more than doing actual optimization though. They're not the same thing by any stretch. Apples and green tea ice cream I suppose. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version