ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Outing the Internet's worst troll.

<< < (3/9) > >>

wraith808:
He doesn't seem to be taking the hang tough and screw you approach.  If you read the stuff he posts on reddit, he says that the whole thing is his fault.  He just says he wouldn't change anything other than the trusting people stuff.  The stuff he posts is pretty abhorrent, and I don't agree with it.  But I don't think its worthy of a witch hunt...

Deozaan:
I don't understand why people defend the troll's free speech but condemn the gawker author's free speech of outing him. :huh:

wraith808:
I don't understand why people defend the troll's free speech but condemn the gawker author's free speech of outing him. :huh:
-Deozaan (October 15, 2012, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I said in one of my posts on the subject elsewhere, everyone is responsible for their own use of the right of free speech, and the consequences thereof.  Truthfully, I don't agree with either- him doing it, or their capitalizing on it.  The writer says that it was "to bring it to light" like it was a charitable act, when it really was to make a scoop and get hits.  Just like his was to get attention, basically.  People compare this to someone outing a sexual predator that hasn't been punished or something, when comparing the two acts is comparing apples and oranges.  Both acts were self-serving, truthfully.

TaoPhoenix:
Trolls of the various kinds are the far edge of the free speech range. There's that Mid East article where the govts are upset about the religious angle. This guy is going for more shock stuff.

It's a famous problem because the powers that be can use him (and pay him!!?) as a poster boy, to enact more evil laws.

It's a cycle I don't know how to stop.

Renegade:
I've been following this for a while, and have a few comments...

Betraying trust is betrayal. Pretty simple. Nothing further to say there.

For myself, I don't try to hide. I know it's futile. Everything I say I stand behind, though I must confess that many things I say are drunken farts. ;D Other things are simple nonsense, and many things are in jest. I know that many things I say cannot be taken literally, and really don't care much. Literalists are often total morons. Oh, and I meant that literally. :P ;D

For the media, well, they have no restraint or semblance of decency. Nothing more can be expected. They're whores. Dirty, disgusting, filthy whores. I don't mean that as a stain on prostitution. I have much more respect for prostitutes than for them. (I'm counting on other people's disdain for the profession here.) I hold prostitution in higher regard than many other professions, e.g. lawyers, doctors, politicians, bureaucrats, MSM journalists/presstitutes, etc. Prostitutes are at least honest about what they do. They do honest work for honest pay. (Comparatively.)

So, I probably have a skewed view compared to many other people. I don't apologize for it.

I also have little sympathy for the guy being "outed". If you can't stand behind what you say, then STFU.

I don't sit on any "side" here. I just see a disaster. And really don't have any position. Perhaps I'm ignorant of some facts. But from what I've seen here and elsewhere, I just see this as a big, dirty mess.

It hasn't really occupied much mindshare for me though, and I could be missing something. I just don't see any real problem here though. Guy was a douche, and got outed for it. Well... yeah. That was to be expected at some point. ? No?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version