ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

PT doesn't change priority of a certain service by explicit rule

(1/2) > >>

bege:
Hi,
I installed ProcessTamer (PT) in the first place to permanently reduce priority of the service psia.exe (belongs to Secunia PSI) - and just this one PT does not regulate by the explicit rule. This also happens if I am logged in as administrator or run PT as administrator.
It didn't help either to set the logging in of this service to the administrator account.
Strange enough the priority of this service can be changed by PT instantly in the processes tab of the PT configurator.
Does any body know help?
Thank you very much.

I am using PT 2.11.01 on Windows XP SP3

Ath:
Strange enough the priority of this service can be changed by PT instantly in the processes tab of the PT configurator.
Does any body know help?
-bege (October 13, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's a fair warning (or reason) for any external priority changes not working. The tool most likely checks it's current process-priority setting, and resets it to the internally configured value.

mouser:
I'm not sure the cause -- you aren't doing anything wrong, PT should change it automatically..
But Ath may be right -- it might be that PT is changing the priority as soon as the application starts, and then the application is changing it back.
It may be that PT needs to wait a little bit before making the initial priority change in order for it to keep.  Adding to my todo list.

bege:
The tool most likely checks it's current process-priority setting, and resets it to the internally configured value.
-Ath (October 13, 2012, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you (both) for answering. These questions come up with your answer:

If this is the case,
1. why doesn't the tool set the priority back when I use the manual way of ProcessTamer (or Process Explorer also)?
(what does PT do differently when changing the priority manually or by rule?)
2. why doesn't ProcessTamer show a balloon that it changed the priority due to an explicit rule, if it did?

mouser:
Good questions.. I'm trying to remember if PT shows a balloon when changing priority according to explicit rule.. I'm not sure it does.
As far as why it works during manual rule, it may be that if PT is doing it initially, its happening before the program does it's initial initialization process which forces it's priority.

Of course the other possibility is that PT has a bug is somehow skipping the initial priority setting and never even trying to do it.  A PT update is long overdue -- I'm adding to my todo list to check into this and also log these events so that they are easier to diagnose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version