ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3D Printing Under Attack

<< < (7/15) > >>

40hz:
Well, it didn't take long for the people with political agendas to get in on this topic. This from the Huffington Post. In it Josh Horowitz (Executive Director, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence), adds this piquant mix of flag waving, hysteria, half-truth and posturing to the discussion...

(Note: it's best read with The Battle Hymn of the Republic playing softly in the background. )

The Huffington Post and other major media outlets have been abuzz lately with discussion of "3D printing's next frontier": guns. Specifically, the focus has been on a University of Texas law school student who had the 3D printer he leased reclaimed after announcing he would begin printing "Wiki weapons" (i.e., receivers for assault rifles and crude handguns) and freely distributing the plans for these firearms over the Internet. Desktop manufacturing company Stratsys felt that the student in question, Cody Wilson, was flouting existing federal firearms laws and stated that it is not its policy to "knowingly allow its printers to be used for illegal purposes." Wilson was also booted off Indiegogo, where he tried to fundraise for the project.

Much of the coverage focused on the aspect of the exciting new technology involved, which "promises to revolutionize manufacturing" in the United States. Less-discussed was the stated motivation behind the project and the radical political views of its founder.

Much of the coverage focused on the aspect of the exciting new technology involved, which "promises to revolutionize manufacturing" in the United States. Less-discussed was the stated motivation behind the project and the radical political views of its founder.
Let's be clear. The Wiki Weapon project is not the work of a dispassionate techie seeking to push the outer limits of modern technology. Instead it is a blatant, undisguised attempt to radically alter our system of government. We don't know if the project will be producing serviceable handguns and assault rifles anytime soon, but if it does--and if these weapons avoid regulation--political violence could one day replace political dialogue as the hallmark of our democratic system. For more than two centuries, the U.S. Constitution and its amendments have secured the blessings of liberty for Americans. If extremists like Cody Wilson have their way, "the guys with the [printed] guns" will make new rules for the future.
--- End quote ---

Sometimes I don't know which side is worse when it comes to gun related news and topics. :-\

Stoic Joker:
political violence could one day replace political dialogue as the hallmark of our democratic system.
--- End quote ---
Sounds like government fearing its people to me (downside == 0).

For more than two centuries, the U.S. Constitution and its amendments have secured the blessings of liberty for Americans. If extremists like Cody Wilson have their way, "the guys with the [printed] guns" will make new rules for the future.
--- End quote ---

Help me out on this...what changed??  :D

Renegade:
Well, it didn't take long for the people with political agendas to get in on this topic. This from the Huffington Post. In it Josh Horowitz (Executive Director, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence), adds this piquant mix of flag waving, hysteria, half-truth and posturing to the discussion...
-40hz (October 14, 2012, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hate his nonsense. Badly. With only a few moments of time to peruse his drivel... I loathe his crap...

He is an evil person, and the world would be a better place without him.

I really mean that.

I despise his sickness.

He is a statist ****.

I have nothing non-profane/obscene to say about his drivel.

40hz:
For more than two centuries, the U.S. Constitution and its amendments have secured the blessings of liberty for Americans. If extremists like Cody Wilson have their way, "the guys with the [printed] guns" will make new rules for the future.
--- End quote ---

Help me out on this...what changed??  :D
-Stoic Joker (October 14, 2012, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.

Guess they forgot to put us the distribution list for that memo. :-\

Stoic Joker:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version