ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3D Printing Under Attack

<< < (3/15) > >>

app103:
I'd hardly consider that theme as being fiction any more. :tellme
-40hz (October 13, 2012, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, when you die in debt and your creditors bring you back from the dead to work as a slave till your debt is paid off, then it won't be fiction any more.  ;)

Renegade:
^^ Sounds like a very prejudicial book...
-Renegade (October 13, 2012, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's pretty much a dystopian sci-fi novel about capitalism run amuck.
-app103 (October 13, 2012, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd hardly consider that theme as being fiction any more. :tellme:

Besides, isn't dystopian pretty much becoming a near synonym for political science too? :-\
-40hz (October 13, 2012, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Though, if you ever travel by air, you have to wonder if dystopian is also a synonym for "today".  

Did I mention that it is legal for the Australian government to deploy chemical weapons against the Australian people for absolutely no other reason than "they can"? And that it's illegal to prosecute anyone for that?

app103:
Did I mention that it is legal for the Australian government to deploy chemical weapons against the Australian people for absolutely no other reason than "they can"? And that it's illegal to prosecute anyone for that?
-Renegade (October 13, 2012, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

In the US, too. (and more) And if you want to read her complete dissertation about the whole thing, it's available for free, right here.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

In the US, too.
-app103 (October 13, 2012, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's 1 difference -- in the US, illegal is a specialty of the govt. They just do whatever they want without any respect for the law. The current president is a good example. (I'm sure the next one will be a better example. :P ) The law is completely irrelevant to the govt.

The law I'm referring to above is an actual law that permits the use of chemical weapons against people. i.e. The Australian govt seems to like to cross its t's and dot its i's before they murder people. A degree of ceremony entirely lacking in the US. :P ;D

app103:
--- End quote ---

In the US, too.
-app103 (October 13, 2012, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's 1 difference -- in the US, illegal is a specialty of the govt. They just do whatever they want without any respect for the law. The current president is a good example. (I'm sure the next one will be a better example. :P ) The law is completely irrelevant to the govt.

The law I'm referring to above is an actual law that permits the use of chemical weapons against people. i.e. The Australian govt seems to like to cross its t's and dot its i's before they murder people. A degree of ceremony entirely lacking in the US. :P ;D
-Renegade (October 13, 2012, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

While the experimenting itself may have been illegal, there were no laws that forced them to inform the public of what they were really doing. There were no "right to know" laws that covered secret government sponsored military testing of radioactive chemicals on large groups of private citizens, when they couldn't find any volunteers.

I never really seriously considered my mother's claims of secret govt. experiments involving spraying chemicals on low income urban areas in 1965, leading to the increase in the Newark, NJ area of certain birth defects around that time (especially ones involving the presence of extra or double organs), to be valid...till now. She claims that my being born with 3 kidneys may have been the result of these experiments. She told this story often, when I was growing up. I always thought her tin foil hat was highly polished with a mirror finish.  :D

Maybe there is some truth to her claims. Of course that also leaves me wondering how she knew about it. Where did she get her info, if this was such a big secret that it didn't come to light till now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version