ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3D Printing Under Attack

<< < (11/15) > >>

Tinman57:

Time to start printing handguns.

Oh, wait...
-Edvard (October 14, 2012, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

The truth is that it is much cheaper and more effective to just buy a real gun. 3D printed guns right now aren't comparable to hundreds of years of gunsmith engineering. So 3D gun plans & printing really have no significant effect on anything. Except for paranoid governments that don't understand tech. Oh, wait. That's all of them~! :P

But really - I think it's great having that info out there. It gives the govt's 1 more reason to be afraid of the people, which is the way it should be, and not like it is now with people being afraid of their govt's.
-Renegade (October 14, 2012, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

The results of Wiki Weapons gun testing

The first run of testing a 3D-printed gun wasn't flawless but it wasn't a complete failure either.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/the-results-of-wiki-weapons-gun-testing/7268

Edvard:
What they need to do is load some JB Weld into the thing.  That stuff should be the 3rd in a trinity with Duct Tape and WD-40.

Also... this: http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-08/3-d-printing-now-stainless-steel

TaoPhoenix:
Sorta changing topics, 3D Printing is the ultimate attack on Everything. (Except for industrial grade processes. Those will last a little longer.) Being able to buy a "75 pound lump of 50 compounds" at YourCostBulkClub (CostCo, BJ's are East Coast USA examples), 3d Printing lets you make (almost) ANYTHING with just a software routine, and you know the Open Source movement will be all over that.

Hence the desperate moves to block the tech at this early stage. Need a kitchen knife? Print one. Need a Cereal Bowl? Print one. Need a plastic tin for laundry? Print one.

But wait. It gets WAY worse. Need a toy for your 4 year old? (Non-Genius.) PRINT ONE. I bet you will be able to print a cheap car-thingy soon. Your 4 year old won't care. He can zoom it around. Toys 'R Us and Hasbro/Mattel/whoever will NOT be pleased that their "cheap plastic crap" business model will be sunk.

And more, but I'll let y'all imagine how disruptive it can be.

Renegade:
And more, but I'll let y'all imagine how disruptive it can be.
-TaoPhoenix (December 05, 2012, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Disruptive = beautiful! :D

I wonder if all the 3D printer material will be made in China... :P

Renegade:
Interesting knee-jerk reaction to nothing:

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/09/congressman-calls-for-ban-on-3.html

Congressman calls for ban on 3D printed guns

Well, that was predictable: days after a 3D printed gun fired a few rounds, Rep Steve Israel has called for a ban on of Wiki Weapons. The congressman points out (correctly) that all-plastic 3D printed weapons would not be easy to spot using traditional methods, such as metal detectors.

However, what Rep Israel doesn't say is how he hopes to accomplish his goal. Firmware locks for 3D printers? A DMCA-like takedown regime for 3D shapefiles that can be used to generate plastic firearms (or parts of plastic firearms?). A mandate on 3D printer manufacturers to somehow magically make it impossible for their products to print out gun-parts?

Every one of those measures is a nonsense and worse: unworkable combinations of authoritarianism, censorship, and wishful thinking. Importantly, none of these would prevent people from manufacturing plastic guns. And all of these measures would grossly interfere with the lawful operation of 3D printers.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version