ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3D Printing Under Attack

<< < (6/15) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
But at close range it doesn't matter.

I'm confident enough in my marksmanship that when I do go shoot something, I only ever put one bullet in the gun.

My logic follows that if you can't with certainty destroy the target with a single shot, you should not take that shot.

Other than when practicing to reach that level anyway.

But with most 3d printers unable to print metal at this time, the odds are that the chamber would explode on all but the smallest possible ammo types. It would be more effective as a grenade or flashbang than as a gun for that reason.

Also, they can't sanely IP everything. In hundreds of years, there have been millions of designs. Just pick a design that predates copyright law, and it's grandfathered without a copyright- you can make all the copies of it you want. Even without having a design to follow, they were invented once before by men with a mere hammer and anvil, modern technology makes that kind of innovation even more accessible than ever. Someone else might invent an entirely new variation.

Stoic Joker:
3D printed guns right now aren't comparable to hundreds of years of gunsmith engineering. So 3D gun plans & printing really have no significant effect on anything.
-Renegade (October 14, 2012, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Really? A cheap untraceable gun suitable for use at close range doesn't inspire all sorts of creative thinking?-40hz (October 14, 2012, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - Totally nailed it! Remember the statistics...a typical shooting happens at less than 20'. That doesn't require a great deal of accuracy or skill...just the compunction/desperation to pull the trigger.

40hz:
the odds are that the chamber would explode on all but the smallest possible ammo types. It would be more effective as a grenade or flashbang than as a gun for that reason.
-SeraphimLabs (October 14, 2012, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

To be sure. But weren't there people making "liners" or barrel inserts for flare guns that allowed you to fire a 'real' ammo round. I seem to recall the AFT or some similar agency talking about that a while back? The guns did fail after a few uses. But AFAIR they all got at least one .38 shot off before they became totally "too dangerous" to use. IMHO it's pretty dumb to do it even once (other than as a proof-of-concept) but whatcha gonna do? These are yahoos we're talking about who'd try this in a street setting.

Oooo baby! You just gotta love Google sometimes! Here it is.

Renegade:
Oooo baby! You just gotta love Google sometimes! Here it is.
-40hz (October 14, 2012, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... Ya just gotta love the fine art of sanity~! :D

It is the determination of FTB that if these inserts are installed in a flare launcher or are possessed with a flare launcher they would be classified as an “Any Other Weapon,” which is a firearm subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA).

26 U.S.C. § 5861(d) states that it is unlawful to receive or possess an NFA firearm which is not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. Violation of the cited section by an individual is a felony subject to a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine of $250,000. In the case of a violation by an organization, the maximum penalty is a $500,000 fine.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
^Oh gosh! It's illegal? Really? We'll...I guess it won't be a problem then, just so long as everybody is made aware it's against the law.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version