topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do you protect yourself against faulty Windows patches  (Read 3864 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Windows patch trips up on HP tool, firewall | Tech News on ZDNet

A "critical" Windows patch can cause trouble on computers that run certain Hewlett-Packard photo-sharing software or the Kerio firewall, Microsoft said.

http://news.zdnet.co...026.html?tag=nl.e589

For me, one way is to delay the patches by a couple of days so that the problem can surface.

However, the patches were released last week and I only knew about the problems today.

So this is where a software line Goback really helps which allows me to turn back the clock literally.
http://www.goback.com/

It's the only Symantec product I have and have saved me before but not this round since I do not have the affected software mentioned in the article.

But who knows when the next problematical "critical" patch will come around and mess things up for me or you.

But in that sense, I'm prepared.

It would be good to find out how others "protect" themselves from potential patching disaster other than imaging your system before patching.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:06 AM by patteo »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you protect yourself against faulty Windows patches
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Kerio noticed me about verclsid.exe just yesterday. I thought I caught malware somewhere.

Good to know it's just a new MS service. *phew*

[rant]
The Windows Explorer update isn't the only patch in Microsoft's latest round to cause trouble for some users.
No surprise. "Security Experts" search abstract security leaks 24/7. Publish them online to a.) get their 15 minutes of fame and b.) force MS patching the leak ASAP. Real bad dudes say "Thank you" and use the well documented leak on sites/banner ads to inject malware/trojans. MS gets blamed by the media for not fixing such bugs, has no time for testing and here we've the result...

Sure, other browers get their bugs fixed faster, but tons of (business) software isn't depending on them.[/rant]