ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Portable alternative for Cathy (cataloging freeware) that runs on Win7 64 bit?

<< < (5/9) > >>

Stoic Joker:
(Win7 x64 here also) Holy crap! That thing is fast!

No compatability mode settings required to run, however if dropping Cathy on the C: drive the default NTFS permissions may be giving you problems. Make sure the Users group has Read/Write/Modify permissions for the folder Cathy runs in and it should work.

Also make sure the shortcut you launch it from has the correct path in the "Start in" target.

Just thinkin' out loud,

Stoic Joker

zzynx:
Make sure the Users group has Read/Write/Modify permissions for the folder Cathy runs in and it should work.
--- End quote ---
I know it should, but it doesn't. With all correct permissions.
Also make sure the shortcut you launch it from has the correct path in the "Start in" target
--- End quote ---
That's all OK.

Have you tried making a new user account and testing from there?
--- End quote ---
I have tried that and guess what: Cathy works as expected for that new user account. (location= C:\tools\catalog\cathy)
Of course that is no workable solution...

It proves - once again - that Cathy can work under Win7 x64 without problems.

Now, what does that mean?
And how could I make Cathy work under my own account?

wraith808:
Have you tried making a new user account and testing from there?
--- End quote ---
I have tried that and guess what: Cathy works as expected for that new user account. (location= C:\tools\catalog\cathy)
Of course that is no workable solution...

It proves - once again - that Cathy can work under Win7 x64 without problems.

Now, what does that mean?
And how could I make Cathy work under my own account?
-zzynx (October 15, 2012, 02:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

That does seem to point to permissions problems.  Does Cathy only write to the local folder?  Is there possibly another folder that you don't have access to?  I'd think not... just going over the possible problems.  If not, though, I'd suggest checking the security for the folder Cathy is running in, and set specific permissions for your user on that folder rather than depending on the default user permissions.  Also check to make sure what groups your user is in to make sure that your user groups are what you think they should be.

zzynx:
Does Cathy only write to the local folder?
--- End quote ---
I would think so, since it is portable.

I'd suggest checking the security for the folder Cathy is running in, and set specific permissions for your user on that folder rather than depending on the default user permissions.
--- End quote ---

My account belongs to the Administrators group.
Nevertheless, I added my specific account and give it "Full Control" rights on my directory C:\tools\catalog\cathy.

The problem persists...

wraith808:
Does Cathy only write to the local folder?
--- End quote ---
I would think so, since it is portable.
-zzynx (October 15, 2012, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Portable only means that it doesn't need a specific location present at run time, not that it doesn't use another location temporarily.  It's just that if it works for a different user, it seems that permissions is the right path to go down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version