ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do Not Track

<< < (6/8) > >>

Tinman57:
Re Ghostery & Trackerblock (from another thread):

I ... switched out Ghostery for TrackerBlock, on the theory that even if "less evil", Ghostery is run by an ad company, and hopefully PrivacyChoice.org ... isnt?-TaoPhoenix (October 06, 2012, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
-tomos (October 15, 2012, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
PrivacyChoice is also a commercial entity - I dunno if I'd choose one of the two over the other... and something about PrivacyChoice seems fishy (not the least running a commercial site on a .org address), but opt-out cookies? I am to trust that anybody respects those? LOL! In general the addon seems to be focused more on cookies, than to keep from executing javascript or loading tracking beacon images, which is what Ghostery does.-f0dder (October 15, 2012, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what I understand, PrivacyChoice is geared for the publishing companies, where Abine, the makers of Do Not Track Plus is a security company.  Kind of makes you wonder where PrivacyChoice's loyalties lie...

DNT+ don't use "Opt-Out" cookies, they actually "Block" tracking of all kinds.  I think opt-out cookies are worthless.  It's the fox guarding the henhouse.  I want to block all the tracking crap, not flag them with a useless cookie...

But, to each their own I suppose.  lol

f0dder:
DNT+ don't use "Opt-Out" cookies, they actually "Block" tracking of all kinds.  I think opt-out cookies are worthless.  It's the fox guarding the henhouse.  I want to block all the tracking crap, not flag them with a useless cookie...-Tinman57 (October 15, 2012, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
http://www.abine.com/dntp/faq.php#q17 - "There are good cookies and bad cookies, and we add the good kind to your browser. They’re called “opt-out cookies,” and they signal to advertisers that you want to opt out of receiving target advertising (it's like the "Do Not Call" list for targeted advertising)."

One thing that does seem good about Abine/DNT+ is their team page, with names & faces. Assuming those people are real, that's a good sign - Ghostery/Evidon has that too. Couldn't find that for PrivacyChoice/TrackerBlock, which for some reason seems slightly fishy to me.

As for the fox guarding the henhouse, it's worth noting that Evidon used to be named Better Advertising - and I definitely wouldn't turn on the GhostRank stuff. But so far, Ghostery seems to do it's job well. I haven't been spying on it to check if it's sending back spying data (but even if I'm not that paranoid, I'm pretty sure other people are - and it'd hurt Evidons business if they were outright lying bastards?) - and I've seen it break sites that depend on tracking, which is good thing IMHO :)

joiwind:
yes, I have tried PrivacyChoice/TrackerBlock and I don't like it : it creates a lot of traffic, slows down browsing and I have big doubts about it.

So I'm staying with DNT+ for much the same reasons as f0dder.

TaoPhoenix:
yes, I have tried PrivacyChoice/TrackerBlock and I don't like it : it creates a lot of traffic, slows down browsing and I have big doubts about it.

-joiwind (October 16, 2012, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does DNT+ cover all the flash cookies and stuff? That's the main reason I ever used Ghostery past the first year, after I knew who was on what page - I didn't think reg. AdBlock dealt with flash cookies.

joiwind:

-joiwind (October 16, 2012, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does DNT+ cover all the flash cookies and stuff? That's the main reason I ever used Ghostery past the first year, after I knew who was on what page - I didn't think reg. AdBlock dealt with flash cookies.
-TaoPhoenix (October 16, 2012, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure about DNT+ and flash cookies - I'll check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version