ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2013

NANY 2013 Withdrawn: Track My Stuff!

<< < (2/3) > >>

worstje:
I personally think TaoPhoenix has a pretty useful insight, and it is one I've subnconsciously followed for all of my apps as well. Many apps that are created are something that is easily done in Excel or Access, and as a consequence, they also tend to be apps that have been created a hundred times before in slightly different formats. In only a minority of the cases, these apps actually do something different enough to warrant existing; in the rest of the cases, the Coding Snack guideline of looking for something existing rather than making something new would seem to be a useful one to follow.

But hey, let people contribute what they want! If they have fun with it, and someone else has a use for it.. then that's all that's needed, right?

TaoPhoenix:
I personally think TaoPhoenix has a pretty useful insight, and it is one I've subconsciously followed for all of my apps as well. Many apps that are created are something that is easily done in Excel or Access, and as a consequence, they also tend to be apps that have been created a hundred times before in slightly different formats. In only a minority of the cases, these apps actually do something different enough to warrant existing; in the rest of the cases, the Coding Snack guideline of looking for something existing rather than making something new would seem to be a useful one to follow.

But hey, let people contribute what they want! If they have fun with it, and someone else has a use for it.. then that's all that's needed, right?
-worstje (October 12, 2012, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm all for apps by small devs like here, because then sometimes we can ask and get a nice little feature that MS wouldn't bother listening to. So just to be facetious, make a feature that automatically emails the borrower to bug them to return the game!  ;D

wraith808:
I personally think TaoPhoenix has a pretty useful insight, and it is one I've subnconsciously followed for all of my apps as well.
-worstje (October 12, 2012, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not that... it just seems a bit premature.  After all, I've only posted an initial precis, and it wasn't really a suggestion like hey maybe you could put this in there to make it more useful or anything like that.  Don't know... just struck me in the wrong way at the time.  Not a big deal, and like I said, most of my apps are created at that intersection of useful for me and useful for learning something/honing skills, and this falls at that intersection.

f0dder:
I personally think TaoPhoenix has a pretty useful insight, and it is one I've subnconsciously followed for all of my apps as well. Many apps that are created are something that is easily done in Excel or Access, and as a consequence, they also tend to be apps that have been created a hundred times before in slightly different formats.-worstje (October 12, 2012, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
...but then you're limiting yourself to the UX of Excel (or OOo calc or whatever), and you need a 200meg-or-more install.

I'm personally considering doing a couple of dedicated webapps to replace some OOo spreadsheets. One for my weekly power consumption measurements, another for keeping track of purchases (I enter receipts from everything, from groceries to large hardware purchases, to a spreadsheet). Both work kinda fine in spreadsheets, but I'm often in situations where it'd be nice to use a webapp from my smartphone rather than remembering to do it later on my desktop... also, before anybody says GoogleDocs or whatever, no. I can do a better UX with a dedicated app.

Also, it would be a chance to do something simple in Play2 and Scala to get familiar with the stuff :)

wraith808:
Also, it would be a chance to do something simple in Play2 and Scala to get familiar with the stuff
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ooh... thanks for that!  I'm going to have to figure out something *else* to build to try those out! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version