ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does the browser Opera suck?

<< < (4/8) > >>

f0dder:
Is Internet Explorer really that dangerous nowadays? I think this mentality is something leftover from the IE6 Pre-SP2 days....and yes, Opera does suck as you will see more and more as you continue to use it. But, in the end, use whatever works for you.-Josh (October 10, 2012, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's not nearly as bad as it was in the olden days, and most exploits these days are from Flash or Java browser plugins - apart from XSS stuff, the *real* nasty browser bugs (those that don't trigger plugins but can lead to remote code execution or the likes) are few and far between.

But there was an exploit lately (iirc mid/late september) that targeted IE{7,8,9} on {XP,Vista,Win7} that was pretty bad.

Josh:
Is Internet Explorer really that dangerous nowadays? I think this mentality is something leftover from the IE6 Pre-SP2 days....and yes, Opera does suck as you will see more and more as you continue to use it. But, in the end, use whatever works for you.-Josh (October 10, 2012, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's not nearly as bad as it was in the olden days, and most exploits these days are from Flash or Java browser plugins - apart from XSS stuff, the *real* nasty browser bugs (those that don't trigger plugins but can lead to remote code execution or the likes) are few and far between.

But there was an exploit lately (iirc mid/late september) that targeted IE{7,8,9} on {XP,Vista,Win7} that was pretty bad.
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, there are still vulnerabilities, but many browsers are seeing these same hits. Heck, Mozilla just had to pull Firefox 16 from the web due to a security vulnerability. My whole point is that IE is nowhere near the monster it once was and is actually quite reliable and safe.

f0dder:
Agreed, there are still vulnerabilities, but many browsers are seeing these same hits. Heck, Mozilla just had to pull Firefox 16 from the web due to a security vulnerability. My whole point is that IE is nowhere near the monster it once was and is actually quite reliable and safe.-Josh (October 12, 2012, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, 16.0 had a bug, which was fixed how many hours after release? MS is quite a bit slower wrt release cycles, though thankfully they have out-of-band releases for really critical stuff (and to give them credit, they have to go through a lot more rigorous QA/QC to avoid fscktards moaning). But at any rate, the FF bug was:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters.  At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.
--- End quote ---

The IE bug was remote code execution, which is a metric sh!ttonne more serious.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use IE isn't security, but simply that it sucks. With IE6, at least the browser loaded lightning fast - they lost that advantage with IE7, and haven't regained it. The developer tools suck, the HTML compliance sucks compared to chrome and FF (even though it's a lot better in IE9+ than it used to be), and the addons sucks.

I really don't see any reason to use IE if you've got half a mind, but of course people doing webdev have to support it, *sigh*.

Josh:
Agreed, there are still vulnerabilities, but many browsers are seeing these same hits. Heck, Mozilla just had to pull Firefox 16 from the web due to a security vulnerability. My whole point is that IE is nowhere near the monster it once was and is actually quite reliable and safe.-Josh (October 12, 2012, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, 16.0 had a bug, which was fixed how many hours after release? MS is quite a bit slower wrt release cycles, though thankfully they have out-of-band releases for really critical stuff (and to give them credit, they have to go through a lot more rigorous QA/QC to avoid fscktards moaning). But at any rate, the FF bug was:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters.  At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.
--- End quote ---

The IE bug was remote code execution, which is a metric sh!ttonne more serious.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use IE isn't security, but simply that it sucks. With IE6, at least the browser loaded lightning fast - they lost that advantage with IE7, and haven't regained it. The developer tools suck, the HTML compliance sucks compared to chrome and FF (even though it's a lot better in IE9+ than it used to be), and the addons sucks.

I really don't see any reason to use IE if you've got half a mind, but of course people doing webdev have to support it, *sigh*.
-f0dder (October 12, 2012, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with all of your comments. I use chrome, for what that's worth, but I think the days of IE being as insecure as it once was are long gone. The browser does have other drawbacks, like speed as you pointed out, but it should be OK for those who are forced to/choose to use it. Security patches are handled in, what I feel anyways, is an optimal manner for IE. Microsoft has a far larger userbase and testing base to account for with ALL of their products, so they must ensure they identify potential impact for their patches. Again, as you've pointed out, they do have out of band patches but those are the exception and not the norm.

NigelH:
Yes, it sucks sometimes.
But the suckage (for me) is a lot less than the other three contenders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version