ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Major ISPs to implement "Six strike" rule

<< < (5/6) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
And the best part is nobody is going to know this is taking place until they have ALREADY been slammed by it.

The obvious solution?

Get into something crafty, and register a business selling handmade crafts in your choice of materials.

Then you can use that business to register a business-type internet service, which would understandably have to be exempt from this 6-strike rule because no company can guarantee that their network won't be abused no matter how much big brother setup they use. I know it would be a real fuss where I work if the internet got cut off for more than a few hours, and even as strict as I can be when managing their IT affairs I have little doubt that people still use it for unrelated access.

But in all seriousness, I make a point of not buying any media at all unless I've seen or heard at least clips of it before and found it interesting. Which means if they raise a fuss about copyright even in fanworks like AMVs and screenshot galleries, they will most certainly lose sales because I will no longer find out about their products and be interested in buying them. As it is, I've heard about a solid 6 items in the past month alone that I will never buy because I could not find clips of them to see if I like them or not.

40hz:
The copyright only goes away when it expires under statute - which (in the USA) is generally the lifetime of the creator plus 70 years. Or when something gets put into public domain, in which case it 'expires' immediately.
-40hz (October 10, 2012, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought it was "How old is Mickey Mouse? Add 50 years to that." ;D
-Renegade (October 10, 2012, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. That was just for Micky Mouse by special Congressional action. ;D

Actually, it's the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act that upped 'corporate authorship' copyright protections from 75 to 120 years after creation - or 95 years after first publication, whichever is older.

It also upped authorship by real human beings from "author's life+50" years to "author's life+70 years."

Unlike similar extension legislation passed in the EU, the US act did not revive copyrights that had already expired at the time the act became law.

Trivia: the bill was introduced by former pop singer turned congressman Sonny Bono. Looks like what he said was true: "I got you Babe!" ;D

superboyac:
getting convinced more and more to move to linux and stuff.

Stoic Joker:
getting convinced more and more to move to linux and stuff.-superboyac (October 10, 2012, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Linux?!? ...Not even close to a solution. Christ man at this point we need to change planets!

Remember the "Beam me up Scotty - No intelligent life here" T-shirts from the 80's? Well...

[HHGTTG mode]
...it's time to hit the big green button under the words Don't Panic and get the hell off this crazy assed rock.
[/HHGTTG mode]

wraith808:
Send a message to the ISPs about backing down from the rule:

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/six_strikes/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version