ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Sci Fi Book Club!

<< < (3/3)

rjbull:
Rather depends on what you mean by "favourite:" books you like, or books you respect?  It's possible not to be both.

Of traditional SF, I reckon Fred Pohl's Gateway takes some beating.  Off the top of my head, others I respect include Alfred Bester's Tiger! Tiger! and The Demolished Man, and Chtistopher Priest's Inverted World.  Note respect; I don't say any of these are particularly comfortable reading.

Streampunk isn't a genre I've consciously explored, but I'd suggest a look at Chris Wooding's "Tales of the Ketty Jay" series, which start with Retribution Falls.  I'd classify them as fantasy wearing an SF leather jacket with an eagle on the back...  ;)  For all the swashbuckling, edgy violence, humour and yes, sheer silliness, the abiding interest is in the character development, how this completely dysfunctional crew (even the ship's cat) ended up aboard the Ketty Jay, what their back stories are, and what they do about it.  Terrific entertainment.  Another series worth looking at is Philip Reeve's "Hungry City Chronicles," which start with Mortal Engines.  These are older children/YA, but very entertaining, set in a post-apocalypse far future where some technologies are being reinvented.

rjbull:
I sorta think Steampunk is a nice interlude to my traditional problem with classical High Fantasy.-TaoPhoenix (October 08, 2012, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd welcome a DC Fantasy Book Club as well  :)  If by "High Fantasy" you mean the kind of stories that start from the general area of "Morte d'Arthur" and Tolkien, don't overlook the wealth of non-High Fantasies.  See this post by Iphigenie in the Re: What books are you reading? thread, and my reply to it.

TaoPhoenix:
I'd welcome a DC Fantasy Book Club as well  :)  If by "High Fantasy" you mean the kind of stories that start from the general area of "Morte d'Arthur" and Tolkien, don't overlook the wealth of non-High Fantasies.  See this post by Iphigenie in the Re: What books are you reading? thread, and my reply to it.
-rjbull (October 08, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh to be sure, I like a lot of Modern/Neo fantasy, authors too numerous to mention, let's start with John De Chancie and Castle Perilous.  Point is, if ya are gonna have all that learning and all those powers, use'em smart and quit whining that you don't know who the King talked to in the castle, he's not good enough to block a sensor device.

40hz:
Like to put in a recommendation for a very good sci-fi/fantasy/horror/grapic novel news and review site. Found some stuff I definitely would have missed out on if I hadn't seen it there first.

It's called Nerds on Babeland. Intelligent and well written commentary. Highly recommended. Find it here. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version