ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I may be the last one to learn about this, but...

(1/2) > >>

tranglos:
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/05/microsoft-details-how-ads-in-windows-8-apps-work/

Like ads in the "free" apps on your smartphone or tablet? Now you'll have them on the desktop, too.

If anyone, like me, wondered what on earth Microsoft was doing replacing the convenient traditional desktop with a dumb, dysfunctional mobile-device interface, here's your answer: New environment, new rules.

We pretty much won the war against adware on the desktop years ago, but we totally dropped the ball on smartphones and tablets. They were so new and shiny, after all! Well, now your computer is going to be just like your phone.

O, M, G.

mouser:
Ugh.

If we are going to go down this awful road, these app stores NEED to start VERY CLEARLY labeling software that shows ads as such.  We are getting very dangerously near a situation where ever damn app on the planet is going to be shoving ads down our throats and that's going to become the new definition of "freeware".

40hz:
I just have one thing to say: Debian!

superboyac:
I know this news sucks, but isn't also probably true that someone like ad muncher will just implement windows 8 ad blocking features into their programs?  Also, same issue with the desktop/metro thing...wouldn't someone (rather quickly) create a program to default send the user to the desktop?  Just like how DOPus can replace your windows explorer?

(I'm not being sarcastic.)

joiwind:
I know this news sucks, but isn't also probably true that someone like ad muncher will just implement windows 8 ad blocking features into their programs?  Also, same issue with the desktop/metro thing...wouldn't someone (rather quickly) create a program to default send the user to the desktop?  Just like how DOPus can replace your windows explorer?

(I'm not being sarcastic.)

-superboyac (October 05, 2012, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

About the second bit : Classic shell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version