ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Even Paul Allen is a little confused by Windows 8, but it gets better

(1/4) > >>

zridling:

http://www.paulallen.com/TemplateGeneric.aspx?contentId=21

[Allen]: Strangely, there is no way to set the desktop as your default view (there should be).

The new tablet features in Windows 8 are particularly bold and innovative. A few minor issues aside, I'm impressed with its clever integration of a bimodal interface to simultaneously support both desktop and tablet use in the same operating system. I found the gesture navigation on the tablet to be quite satisfying and responsive. And in general, I find Windows 8 to be snappier and more responsive than Windows 7.

I did encounter some puzzling aspects of Windows 8. The bimodal user experience can introduce confusion, especially when two versions of the same application – such as Internet Explorer – can be opened and run simultaneously. Files can also be opened in either of the two available modes. For example, after opening a PDF attachment in Outlook from the desktop, Windows opens the file in Microsoft Reader, an application more suited for use on a tablet, rather than the desktop Acrobat Reader. A manual switch is then required to return to desktop mode. Thankfully, you can alleviate these switching problems by changing file and program associations in Windows, as I will explain later.
A nice post on his blog on a lot of things to be excited about Windows 8, and how it will eventually get better within a year as apps catch up. Should be interesting, as the wife needs to replace her old laptop that I wish would die already!

40hz:
how it will eventually get better within a year as apps catch up.
-zridling (October 04, 2012, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suddenly feel as if I have been transported back to 1988! It's that same old Microsoft refrain.

Besides, any idea anybody had that was worth anything was invariably first "thunk up" by Apple, right?

tomos:
[Allen]: Strangely, there is no way to set the desktop as your default view (there should be).
-zridling (October 04, 2012, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

that one is hard to understand.

What happened in 1988 40? (I only started using computers myself 1999)

ewemoa:
A guess...

From History of computers during 1980 to 1990:

Apple files a copyright infringement against Microsoft for Windows 2.03 and Hewlett Packard for New Wave in comparison with their Macintosh operating system.

--- End quote ---

zridling:
We should have a contest for some prize here on DC on how long it will take Microsoft to "fix" the UI in Win8 to revert back to [desktop] normal.
I give them one SP and seven months tops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version