topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How Windows 8 hopes to change everything - and likely not for the better.  (Read 15297 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Sure, and I'd even seen some of that before. I didn't intend to say that Apple precisely borrowed Linux code, hence the *nix I was using. However, at the broader level, I did mean that when their own core code went to pieces, they went outside indeed and it was much easier to borrow the Mach kernel than rewrite a brand new one all over again.

So my comment was about how they borrowed some open source core code and turned it into one of the most locked down platforms in history.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Understood. I only mentioned it in order to preempt a certain someone else from pointing it out. And probably less politely, if past experience is anything to go by. ;) 8) ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:19 PM by 40hz »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You calling me rude?  :tellme: Or am I just paranoid?  :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Umm...paranoid. (Not a bad thing either considering the way this world is going lately.) ;D

@C - I have nothing but the deepest respect for you even if we haven't always agreed on some political topics in the past. :)

That's part of what makes this a very cool place to discuss things. Different opinions and non-US perspectives... 8)

Gimme more! :Thmbsup: