ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

PDF-XChange Viewer ($FREE version) - Mini-Review

<< < (2/7) > >>

IainB:
PDF-XChange Viewer gets mentioned in an interesting context in a post in the discussion forum at outlinersoftware.com:
Software Recommendation (Onenote vs. Others)
Posted by quant
Oct 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM

If you read a lot a of scietific literature, which I presume most is in pdf, I can suggest my setup:

* pdf xchange viewer - allows notetaking, highlighling etc. I also use my own tags like “mystop”, “mynote: ...”, “mytodo: ...” etc to mark what has to be done, where i stopped reading, etc
* archivarius, dtsearch or similar for quick finding of what you need to find in 100s of articles/books + your own tags
* a pdf comment collector - tool to collect your pdf notes into one doc - this is tool i helped to develop, i use it to go quickly over my notes in pdf files. I also use colour coding, the initial notes are yellow, those processes and stored in Ultra Recall are grey - easy to go through them by colour in pdf exchange viewer
* Ultra Recall - to store all my important notes, pictures (in my case math formulas) etc, it’s all indexed so fast to find what i need
ps: the above setup helped me to get a phd in math, and i still use it on a daily basis in my job

--- End quote ---

PhilB66:
+1 for PDF XChange. Although I like the non-bloat of Sumatra PDF (and dislike the bright yellow default screen which makes me blind for a second every time I start it), PDF XChange is the only PDF viewer I have tried which allows me to perform basic editing tasks without bloat.
-Tuxman (October 04, 2012, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
You could edit sumatrapdfprefs.dat file (BEncode Editor can help) to change the 'BgColor' integer.

Tuxman:
Now that's intuitive...

Thanks.

PhilB66:
Now that's intuitive...

Thanks.
-Tuxman (October 11, 2012, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I changed the background to white ('BgColor' '16777215'). I got the code number from http://cloford.com/resources/colours/500col.htm

IainB:
@Tuxman and @PhilB66: Yes, Sumatra's bright yellow background drove my eyeballs crazy too - "perceptual disorganisation" I think is the correct term.
To change it, I looked in the Help notes on the SumatraPDF Home Page
There is a link there: command-line arguments that Sumatra understands
- where it said: (this is from my installation notes made at the time)
SumatraPDF
Command Line Overview
The general format of the command line for SumatraPDF is
SumatraPDF.exe [Options ...] [Filepath ...]
All options start with a dash and have (where indicated) arguments that have to follow them immediately. Anything that isn't recognized as an option will be interpreted as a file path. It's possible to freely mix file paths and command line options.
List of recognized command line options
   • -bg-color <hexcolor>
   Changes the yellow background color to a different color. See e.g. http://html-color-codes.info/webfarben_hexcodes/ for a way to generate the hexcode for a color. E.g.
  -bg-color #999999 <-- I put this in the Shortcut (2012-05-25 1047hrs) as it had a horribly bright yellow background set as standard.
   Shortcut string now reads: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe" -bg-color #999999
   changes the color to gray.

--- End quote ---

(I was OK with grey - my preferred background on my still sometimes rather too-bright laptop screen.)

Sorry, I omitted to mention this earlier.    :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version