topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: This program should be avoided like the plague!  (Read 20768 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: This program should be avoided like the plague!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 06:43 AM »
Am I the only one here who believes in the cleansing goodness of a good curse filled rage-based primal scream?

(I'm with ya!) Catharsis is a good thing. To many people these days try to internalize things (usually with medication...) instead of just letting go and getting it out of their system.

One time I was on such a loud tear that the neighbors come over to find out if someone was being murdered in my apartment.
I explained to them: "No, I'm a computer programmer."

Don't have neighbors that close...but I been there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Respect for letting the guy vent. Although it would behoove him to return with a calmer tone  - (hint to OP) - so that an amicable resolution could be reached.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Well, unless the person can shrug it off and address the real issue, which is rare

It didn't used to be rare, back when people had spines. Now our society has become hypersensitive about anything that isn't sugarcoated.

A business conference I went to had an HR segment where the speaker stated that "the current generation of college graduates (were so PC that they) could not be criticised in the workplace ...(by the boss/even when flamingly dead wrong)... Because they would get upset and leave". What!?!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 07:55 AM »
Am I the only one here who believes in the cleansing goodness of a good curse filled rage-based primal scream?

(I'm with ya!) Catharsis is a good thing. To many people these days try to internalize things (usually with medication...) instead of just letting go and getting it out of their system.

Agree. But only up to a point.

I'm personally getting a little fed up with all the cheap shots, digs, snide comments, swearing, posturing, ranting and screaming that seems to be the norm of late.

What is going on with people lately? There's a widespread refusal to deal with situations (any situation) in a mature and sane manner. In almost every place I been lately I'm running into people who cry on cue and/or fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. It's almost like there's a reward for acting like a cranky toddler rather than an adult. Antisocial is becoming the accepted new 'social.'

Back in the 60s, American humorist James Thurber commented on the trend in serious literary circles to be constantly speaking of - and praising - art that displayed "raw naked emotion." He concluded that he only hoped "clothed sensibility" would also somehow survive.

ThurberHawkDove.jpg

Doesn't much look like it did. :(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53 AM »
It didn't used to be rare, back when people had spines. Now our society has become hypersensitive about anything that isn't sugarcoated.

It's not about sugar-coating.  It's a good dose of respect, and the realization that if you do it, and it's done back, then you shouldn't get bent about someone turning your own vitriol against you.

I'm personally getting a little fed up with all the cheap shots, digs, snide comments, swearing, posturing, ranting and screaming that seems to be the norm of late.

This is exactly it.  There's criticism (and I'm not one of those people that believe that criticism can't be constructive), and then there's just useless ranting and vitriol.  People confuse the two, and the PC movement hasn't helped.

I personally prefer if someone is straight with me.  But if you come at me the wrong way, I'll either shut down and ignore what you're trying to say, or come back at you inappropriately (most times, the first... but... hey, I'm human).  There are only a few people that I will let actually vent at me.  It's a matter of respect, in my opinion, something that's vanishingly rare online these days.

What is going on with people lately? There's a widespread refusal to deal with situations (any situation) in a mature and sane manner. In almost every place I been lately I'm running into people who cry on cue and/or fly off the handle at the drop of a hat. It's almost like there's a reward for acting like a cranky toddler rather than an adult. Antisocial is becoming the accepted new 'social.'

So much this.  I was in court recently, and it even works there.  Passive-Aggressive or Antisocial is the way to go these days, it seems.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:01 AM by wraith808 »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Respect for letting the guy vent. Although it would behoove him to return with a calmer tone  - (hint to OP) - so that an amicable resolution could be reached.
Posts like that are usually done as a one-off thing, without the user ever returning. It's a bit sad, since sometimes (on DoCo: often) people actually try to alleviate whatever problems the OP was frustrated about.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 11:58 AM »

It's not about sugar-coating.  It's a good dose of respect, and the realization that if you do it, and it's done back, then you shouldn't get bent about someone turning your own vitriol against you.

(Quite true that respect is lacking) You're half way there. The problem is that the sugarcoating is being used as a substitute for respect. It's a pretend civility, because people are just trying to sound nice...instead of being nice. Kind of like self respect, folks what have it are generally never seen flopping around on the floor like toddlers. But the PC types will throw a flatout fit if one makes the "mistake" of using a "naughty" word in their presence.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 01:03 PM »
(Quite true that respect is lacking) You're half way there. The problem is that the sugarcoating is being used as a substitute for respect. It's a pretend civility, because people are just trying to sound nice...instead of being nice. Kind of like self respect, folks what have it are generally never seen flopping around on the floor like toddlers. But the PC types will throw a flatout fit if one makes the "mistake" of using a "naughty" word in their presence.

Oh, I totally agree with you on that point.  I hate all of the PC pretend that I'm OK while internally being the same person BS.  I'd rather see the real you, and decide for myself if I like you or want to be offended, rather than this whitewashed facade.  If I choose to get offended or not- that's my choice.  But let it be based on the real you, and if I make that choice, then I can choose to distance myself, which is better for both of us.  This Coexist BS just rubs me the wrong way.

That's not to say force my views on you, or you force yours on me, but for us to agree not to agree and not deal with the fakeness.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 01:49 PM »
We cannot control what events happen to us in life.
What we can control is how we respond to them.

+ 100  :up:

JeremyWW

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 03:08 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:03 PM by JeremyWW »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Maybe, after installation, before the first time older screenshots are moved into the archive folder, you could pop up a dialog to ask the user how he would like it handled.  One question, one time, and then the user is aware of it and can change the setting later if he wishes.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 07:58 PM »
you could pop up a dialog to ask the user how he would like it handled.

yeah i like that idea a lot.  before the first time, and the first time after you change screenshot directories, it should pop up a dialog telling you what it proposes to do, can you can say yes or no.  that's how i should have done it in the first place.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51 PM »
This sounds reasonable  :up:

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 12:53 AM »
I don't agree that you shouldn't scream at people, had an accident in Italy once, the lady passenger of the other car got out, not a pound under 275, screaming at me and walking my
way, I went HULK on her ass yelling and walking straight for her. She took about one tenth of a second to turn around get back in the car. I turned to her husband, smiled and kinda waved and he just waved back and we quietly waited for the police to come. On the other hand, if I want help from someone (I will scream in my head you DMFer) until I know I wouldn't
get any help, or find out the problem was caused by me. "screaming can't help alleviate the pain and but does help to distract me from it"  :wallbash:
At work it's more fun to go DR Evil on someone, calm and quite just before you tell them, you'd be more then happy to tell them why they are completely freak-en WRONG. :D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 06:55 PM »
While I have been guilty of "throwing sand" myself, from time to time, and a bit more frequently over the last year, this still holds true:

Screenshot - 10_4_2012 , 10_14_46 PM.png

Yes, it does feel good to scream at people, and it can be kind of therapeutic to the screamer, but if you don't put forth the effort to control outbursts like that, they become more frequent, they become habit, and then you are perceived as an angry bitter person about everything...even when you are trying to be nice.

Had a boss once that was like that, made us all shake in our shoes with how he was always screaming at us. And he couldn't stop, even when trying to give a small child a free donut. He ended up scaring the poor kid when he started shaking it at him and screaming "Here, take it, take it, TAAAAKE IT!!"

That's not a good way to communicate with people.

Now I don't know the original poster, don't know if he is "always angry" like my old boss, but I am willing to always give someone the benefit of the doubt and assume it is an isolated angry incident and that it is out of character for them, and instead of taking offense, just try to "remove the sand from the machine". And I believe mouser is pretty much the same.