topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: This program should be avoided like the plague!  (Read 20767 times)

meamjw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This program should be avoided like the plague!
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:06 PM »
I was giving this program a try when nearly all my potos disappeared from the main folder of "My Pictures". After much searching I discovered an "Older" subfolder had been created and 95% of my photos had been hidden in there.
I had "My Pictures" set to display thumbnails, but "Older" was in list view named by date. For a good while I had no idea where that folder came from nor what was in it.
I have tried many programs in my time, but this was the most egregious and infuriating behavior I've encountered yet.
I could find no way to efficiently move all my photos back where they belonged. Wound up doing it one to ten at a time, depending on how many photos were in each file this piece of shit had automatically created.
One person on the forum said he liked that feature. I can't imagine why. I think it is some of the most arrogant and inconsiderate programming I have ever seen.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: This program should be avoided like the plague!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:13 PM »
I apologize.

Normally one wouldn't point the screenshot folder of Screenshot Captor at your "My Pictures" directory, which I guess is what you did -- causing Screenshot Captor to treat all those files as its screenshots which it by default moves to the "Older" directory when they are a certain age.  It won't ever delete any files.

I can see how that would be frustrating.  You can turn off this behavior on the bottom of the "Saving and Loading Files" tab of options.

It has been suggested that I disable this feature by default.. I guess maybe this post is the sign that I should.

It's a very very useful feature for screenshots, but I can see that it would cause havok if people change the screenshot folder to some other directory.  Perhaps I should leave it enabled by default BUT disable it any time the screenshot folder is changed.

I'm sorry that it caused confusion and stress.  Like I said it won't ever delete any of your files, so you should not have lost anything.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Screenshot Captor is a highly configurable and very capable piece of software. Because of the amount of configurable options it can be possible that some of the default settings are not to your liking. However, Mouser (the creator and head honcho of this establishment) has put up quite a lot of documentation put up, he even made screen-casts in which he explains most options and why the default settings are as they are.

Take a look at the forum, the people here are friendly and very helpful in solving your issue(s) with Screenshot Captor.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53 PM »
It has been suggested that I disable this feature by default.. I guess maybe this post is the sign that I should.
Probably a good idea - I got confused the first time my screenshots "disappeared". OTOH, I probably wouldn't have found the feature if it had been disabled by default, and I do think it's a nice feature - although it would probably be better if the default grouping was per month or week rather than per day? (that's probably where the OP's frustration is from: having a few files in each of a zillion subfolders... that's a pain to move back if your file manager is cruddy old Explorer).
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:05 PM »

I have tried many programs in my time, but this was the most egregious and infuriating behavior I've encountered yet.
this piece of shit
I think it is some of the most arrogant and inconsiderate programming I have ever seen.

It's understandable that someone would be annoyed about what happened. But I think the way that annoyance is being expressed isn't exactly what most people would see as being very considerate either.

There's ways to complain. Calling a sophisticated piece of popular software that has received glowing reviews and is offered both freely and 'as is' as "a piece of shit" - and calling the developer "arrogant" and "inconsiderate" purely over a design decision - is more than a bit over the top IMO.

But that's the way it goes I guess. :-\

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Probably a good idea - I got confused the first time my screenshots "disappeared". OTOH, I probably wouldn't have found the feature if it had been disabled by default, and I do think it's a nice feature - although it would probably be better if the default grouping was per month or week rather than per day? (that's probably where the OP's frustration is from: having a few files in each of a zillion subfolders... that's a pain to move back if your file manager is cruddy old Explorer).

Can you do a Search feature with subfolders for "all pictures" and then mass drag-drop them back to where they belong?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:14 PM »

this piece of shit
I think it is some of the most arrogant and inconsiderate programming I have ever seen.

It's understandable that someone would be annoyed about what happened. But I think the way that annoyance is being expressed isn't exactly what most people would see as being very considerate either.

There's ways to complain. Calling a sophisticated piece of popular software that has received glowing reviews and is offered both freely and 'as is' as "a piece of shit" - and calling the developer "arrogant" and "inconsiderate" purely over a design decision - is more than a bit over the top IMO.

But that's the way it goes I guess. :-\

Greater Internet SMBC theory at work?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21 PM »
Hey, if I woke up and thought all my pictures were gone I'd be pretty mad too.. I'm sympathetic to people who occasionally come on here to curse me out because I do plenty of cursing and screaming at software myself..

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37 PM »
^But they weren't gone. And the person posting the complaint knew that. It was an  inconvenience, sure. But it wasn't a disaster.

Dunno...it's ok to cuss at software I suppose. But I don't think it's either fair or appropriate to also cuss out the developer for an honest "mistake" (open to debate BTW) that did not result in data loss. Especially when it's a piece of what is essentially freeware.

But there ya go. And I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more. I've been involved with FOSS for a long time. And from that I've since come to appreciate the truth in the old saying: "No good deed ever goes unpunished."

;) 8)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:54 PM »
I remember I had an issue with the CH+S database years ago, didn't even report it...things happen, sometimes it is a serious bug other times the pc or user himself. It is not really relevant if mouser minds the tone or not.

My :two: cents.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:10 PM »
It is kinda relevant, because despite Mouser's good charm, that kind of user attitude just leads to trouble. A user will bitch like that whether it's paid or free, and when it's paid it becomes "I paid good money for this ....".

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37 PM »
We cannot control what events happen to us in life.
What we can control is how we respond to them.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Am I the only one here who believes in the cleansing goodness of a good curse filled rage-based primal scream?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Am I the only one here who believes in the cleansing goodness of a good curse filled rage-based primal scream?

Yes. Because exactly one is cleansing. Because you built a community where that's a freak of nature.

You do not want to see what a forum full of vitriol requiring admin action looks like.
Be Careful What You Wish For - You Just Might Get It. " - Supposedly Chinese Proverb

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05 PM »

I do that when I am alone and no one around to hear me  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07 PM »
One time I was on such a loud tear that the neighbors come over to find out if someone was being murdered in my apartment.
I explained to them: "No, I'm a computer programmer."

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33 PM »
There's is the cleansing of a good scream or yell.  But just because it is, doesn't absolve you of responsibility if you direct it at someone else.  I think that's what 40 was objecting to... and I find myself agreeing.

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Deep down I have to say this software isn't always the easiest to use, but it's better than one I payed money for and I have always come back to using it. Usally the problem is something I change the setting to. But it's free and have used it for more than 5 years, gots it's quirks but I like it alot. The stuff that should be avoided like the plague is the so called freeware that highjacks your web browser or worse.  :D  But I know at least here someone will try to help you with the problem, better than other software company's that give you no help, no replies to e-mails, or just tell you to make sure the computer is up to date and then blow you off when that doesn't work! I understand the frustration but maybe vent in a milder
form, before Ramping it up from the start!

SQUIDMAN

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • WAT TV Squidman Videos
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13 AM »
For wraith808
Asha Kamala Mahamari this girl is 6'3 and weights 152 the picture looks nice but I'm picturing a string bean with a head on it, thats thin Dude! :-\

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45 AM »

Nope. :D

Design decisions can be very difficult at times, and are always a balance between simply doing things automatically and prompting users for confirmation (which is often meaningless when people simply click on dialogs to dismiss them).

In a previous position at a company, I had the same situation - a feature freaked out a few people, and they then freaked out at us.

In the end, screaming can help alleviate the pain and help "put one's head right again." :)

How many people have privately screamed about users/clients before? ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54 AM »
How many people have privately screamed about users/clients before? ;)

Tron, both movies?

:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 03:18 AM »
There's is the cleansing of a good scream or yell.  But just because it is, doesn't absolve you of responsibility if you direct it at someone else.  I think that's what 40 was objecting to... and I find myself agreeing.

That's an excellent distinction. Venting anger/frustration usually isn't productive when targeted at people. Well, unless the person can shrug it off and address the real issue, which is rare.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 03:22 AM »

That's an excellent distinction. Venting anger/frustration usually isn't productive when targeted at people. Well, unless the person can shrug it off and address the real issue, which is rare.

mouser has it :Thmbsup:

Hey, if I woke up and thought all my pictures were gone I'd be pretty mad too.. I'm sympathetic to people who occasionally come on here to curse me out because I do plenty of cursing and screaming at software myself..
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 03:28 AM »
I remember being freaked myself when this was introduced (where are all my screenshots gone!). My file manager can show contents of all subfolders in one view so it was not such a problem to restore them.
In the end I opted for an 'older' folder for each year.

No idea what kind of work it would be: but I wonder could it be implemented on install, (or first start up after install) with some sort of 'wizard' -
please chose these settings a, b or c, notifying the user what will happen etc etc.
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 04:22 AM »
I remember being freaked myself when this was introduced (where are all my screenshots gone!). My file manager can show contents of all subfolders in one view so it was not such a problem to restore them.
In the end I opted for an 'older' folder for each year.

No idea what kind of work it would be: but I wonder could it be implemented on install, (or first start up after install) with some sort of 'wizard' -
please chose these settings a, b or c, notifying the user what will happen etc etc.

You just reminded me... I had the same issue with SC before. I noticed all my screenshots were gone, thought WTH!?!, then saw the "OLDER" folder and figured it out pretty quickly, so it was just a tiny blip on the radar for a quick instant.