ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

This program should be avoided like the plague!

(1/8) > >>

meamjw:
I was giving this program a try when nearly all my potos disappeared from the main folder of "My Pictures". After much searching I discovered an "Older" subfolder had been created and 95% of my photos had been hidden in there.
I had "My Pictures" set to display thumbnails, but "Older" was in list view named by date. For a good while I had no idea where that folder came from nor what was in it.
I have tried many programs in my time, but this was the most egregious and infuriating behavior I've encountered yet.
I could find no way to efficiently move all my photos back where they belonged. Wound up doing it one to ten at a time, depending on how many photos were in each file this piece of shit had automatically created.
One person on the forum said he liked that feature. I can't imagine why. I think it is some of the most arrogant and inconsiderate programming I have ever seen.

mouser:
I apologize.

Normally one wouldn't point the screenshot folder of Screenshot Captor at your "My Pictures" directory, which I guess is what you did -- causing Screenshot Captor to treat all those files as its screenshots which it by default moves to the "Older" directory when they are a certain age.  It won't ever delete any files.

I can see how that would be frustrating.  You can turn off this behavior on the bottom of the "Saving and Loading Files" tab of options.

It has been suggested that I disable this feature by default.. I guess maybe this post is the sign that I should.

It's a very very useful feature for screenshots, but I can see that it would cause havok if people change the screenshot folder to some other directory.  Perhaps I should leave it enabled by default BUT disable it any time the screenshot folder is changed.

I'm sorry that it caused confusion and stress.  Like I said it won't ever delete any of your files, so you should not have lost anything.

Shades:
Screenshot Captor is a highly configurable and very capable piece of software. Because of the amount of configurable options it can be possible that some of the default settings are not to your liking. However, Mouser (the creator and head honcho of this establishment) has put up quite a lot of documentation put up, he even made screen-casts in which he explains most options and why the default settings are as they are.

Take a look at the forum, the people here are friendly and very helpful in solving your issue(s) with Screenshot Captor.

f0dder:
It has been suggested that I disable this feature by default.. I guess maybe this post is the sign that I should.-mouser (October 03, 2012, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably a good idea - I got confused the first time my screenshots "disappeared". OTOH, I probably wouldn't have found the feature if it had been disabled by default, and I do think it's a nice feature - although it would probably be better if the default grouping was per month or week rather than per day? (that's probably where the OP's frustration is from: having a few files in each of a zillion subfolders... that's a pain to move back if your file manager is cruddy old Explorer).

40hz:

I have tried many programs in my time, but this was the most egregious and infuriating behavior I've encountered yet.
this piece of shit
I think it is some of the most arrogant and inconsiderate programming I have ever seen.
-meamjw (October 03, 2012, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's understandable that someone would be annoyed about what happened. But I think the way that annoyance is being expressed isn't exactly what most people would see as being very considerate either.

There's ways to complain. Calling a sophisticated piece of popular software that has received glowing reviews and is offered both freely and 'as is' as "a piece of shit" - and calling the developer "arrogant" and "inconsiderate" purely over a design decision - is more than a bit over the top IMO.

But that's the way it goes I guess. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version