topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How to prevent browser tab clutter for Firefox and Chrome?  (Read 19547 times)

omnray

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to prevent browser tab clutter for Firefox and Chrome?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 02:12 PM »
you are wrong about process-per-active-extension and about process-per-tab, and about why this is might be bad (it is actually good most of the time, yet it is not the case, open task manager and see for yourself).

As about you calculations and proofing how cannot you buy anything, and that Chrome is suck for you and cannot open even several tens of tabs... I think it is better for me not to comment anything about this and not overpersuade. Use Firefox - it is excellent browser, I am far from saying that it is bad, or not needed anymore, or.... I use chrome, i have a decent pc, my chrome easily manage 600 open tabs, and not so easily, yet it can 800-900, on a same system Firefox cannot do this, i spent in a month much less sum than you, never been able to afford such luxury frippery, also have some problems with income, fortunately not sick, yet not sure how this is related to our discussion and that you are not "worried about how much ram is in my computer" and as so, not worried about the consequences - and this is understandably, as it is clear that you really have more important worries. Good luck and best wishes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:38 PM by omnray »

trxckster

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I can't process more than some 30 tabs at a time. So I'd save them in session groups. I couldn't imagine 700 tabs.

I've number gotten to the triple digits since the number of tabs runs up against my CPU and available RAM.

Due to a serendipitous cascade of bad luck, practically all the hardware we own has either gone wonky or died. And, I, the resident geek/home admin, have avoided dealing. However, some tipping point prompted my spouse to purchase a Dell All-in-One PC which I'm still setting up. And, it's the family 1st's Win7 PC as well as 1st 64-bit PC. Pre-existing machines ran XP (2), 2000 (1) and OS X (Panther) - as well as mobile devices that currently include Android (Gingerbread) & iOS (4 & 5).

So in a house of three humans -- the others being an English major turned SAS programmer with a separate work-provided laptop and a teen male who spends most time on any connected device watching skateboarding videos -- I seem to be the multitasking field who regularly brings devices to a standstill because of open tabs.

I have yet to find the right extension(s) that works with a past tendency not to set-up separate users logons combined with a universal disdain for IE. Everyone's default is Chrome although as a CS major/former IT manager turned stay-at-home parent, I usually use many iterations of the major code bases for web browsers. And, I prefer to have the same or very similar feature sets across them all! So I'm on a perennial browser quest, prefer cross platform, and have regularly used all of the following:

• Trident wrappers (e.g., Internet Explorer, SlimBrowser, Maxthon 1 & 2)
  • Gecko-based (e.g., Firefox, Swiftfox [PII-optimised builds based on Firefox], K-Meleon, K-Ninja, Flock, Camino)
  • WebKit-based (e.g., Google Chrome, Chromium, Comodo Dragon, RockMelt, Safari, Shiira)
  • use Trident + Webkit (i.e., Maxthon 3)
  • use Trident, Gecko + WebKit (i.e., Avant, Lunascape)
  • Presto (i.e., Opera)
  • Other (e.g., Opera Mini, Mozilla Prism [formerly WebRunner, a site-specific browser built upon XULRunner, so some Firefox extensions work])

Because of a tendency to cause most any browser to crash (while not always retaining the correct set of open windows/tabs in that last session), I try to create breadcrumb trails of whereever I go filing away that which I suspect I will return via bookmarks locally (if being lazy) in folders organized by date or in the cloud using principally delicious.com -- and less often diigo.com with the latter relying on plug-ins or bookmarklets.

As the family resource person, I also endeavor to have the same set of bookmarks available locally on any house PC -- accomplished in the past via bookit.com then Xmarks which got bought by LastPass to which my spouse already had a subscription.

This new Win7 PC has 4GB RAM which is the most I've had. I've probably got about 50 tabs open which was not possible on anything we had in the past. I've tried both Too Many Tabs (TMT) and Tab Mix Plus (methinks) but neither hit the spot then...will have to re-visit if Tab Outliner doesn't fit the bill. As I'm endeavoring to set up this Win7 PC the proper way, I've been investigating options.... Recent next-to-be tested finds looking to have potential:

FreshStart - Cross Browser Session Mgr would solve how PC's shared - http://blog.visibote...rch/label/FreshStart which seems to be session version of TMT
Tab Grouper - http://www.addictivetips.com/internet-tips/tab-grouper-sort-all-tabs-alphabetically-and-by-domain-chrome/
Tab Sugar - http://tabsugar.com/ [ N.B., no longer being developed; source available]
Awesome Window & Tab Manager - http://www.addictive...-criteria-in-chrome/

And lists for later:
http://lifehacker.com/5883299/master-your-browsers-tabs-with-these-tricks-and-extensions
http://www.vikitech.com/3738/best-tab-extensions-for-chrome

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Hi app, best of luck with everything (I got in touch).

@omnray, absolutely no disrespect intended, but I thought that was a pretty stupid thing to say, and I wanted to reply to it myself, but I think app summed it up. I'm lucky enough to have work for the next few months, so cant complain (but I can still only afford my current 8GB memory cause it's not exactly at the top of my list of things to do with my money ;-)

OTOH I think your chrome extension is amazing :Thmbsup:
Tom

omnray

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45 AM »
but I can still only afford my current 8GB memory cause it's not exactly at the top of my list of things to do with my money ;-)
8Gb must be completely enough for normal work (yet of course not as comfortable as with 16gb, and 32gb is even better : ). app103 cannot open more than 10 tabs without problems in Chrome. And the only thing i can imagine why is this, is because she have 2Gb of ram (or most likely - 32bits OS and 3gb limit + use some others heavyweight programs in multitasking). For this case of course Firefox will do better. Yet it also will not work for its full potential, along with any other serious modern software. Yet if resources is not an issue Chrome seriously outperform Firefox.

Complaining that Chrome work bad on inadequate hardware is like complaining that Ferrari go slowly on off road and a jeep, or even mountain bicycle, is faster.

And of course need all of this bring to context. Most of the people for whom I present my extension say that they rarely open more than 5 tabs.... For them there is no difference at all, i think (yet Chrome opens faster even in this case)

OTOH I think your chrome extension is amazing :Thmbsup:

Thanks  : )