topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scrolling capture wonderfulness  (Read 2826 times)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Scrolling capture wonderfulness
« on: October 02, 2012, 05:22 PM »
I got presented, late this afternoon, with an 800 page PDF that had clearly never been intended to be printed. Actually, most of it didn't need to be, but there are four pages with a lot of detail, in tables, set out in a tiny font that, even blown up to A3, still comes out no bigger than about 5pt.

Nothing I have that can edit PDFs could do anything helpful.

Eventually, after much messing around, I did this:

Use a freebie PDF splitter (I used PDFill -- I don't like it, it crashed twice, but it did the job on the third attempt) to pull out the relevant pages into a standalone PDF.

Use SumatraPDF (I don't like Adobe and avoid it whenever possible) to display the new file and zoomed in until the text was all extremely visible.

Used ScreenshotCaptor in its capture scrolling object mode to capture the document to a PNG that can then be cropped and scaled appropriately and printed using a poster-printing mode.

And It Just Worked. Well, I helped it by counting the vertical and horizontal moves (15 x 4, in case you care) but I didn't even have to fine-tune the final join. Perfect. :)

More brownie points for me and every chance of upsetting a number of people who clearly believe the best way to hide important information is to print it extremely small and protect the PDF against text copying. Hah. :)

Okay, it's sad, I was on my own and nobody was around but I actually said aloud "Mouser, you're a genius!" (If you were listening VERY hard, you might even have heard me.)

:Thmbsup:  :eusa_dance:
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scrolling capture wonderfulness
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:29 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
 :-* :-* :Thmbsup: :-* :-*

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:35 PM »
Mouser to the rescue :Thmbsup: :-*

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I recently use ScreenshotCaptor's scrolling capture to successfully capture a few pages from a site and combined the results into a PDF (ImageMagick) and added a table of contents (PDF-XChange Viewer / JPDFBookmarks).  Worked very nicely :up:

One snag I hit was with a long web page -- if I had been more careful in reviewing the results I would have noticed that more scrolling was needed.  Didn't know that it was long though so wasn't on the look out...I don't suppose that the preview could consist of two portions -- one for the top or currently displayed portion and one for the bottom portion...