ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

VPS Recommendations Anyone?

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
I'm not a Linux person either, but I use CentOS/CPanel/WHM on my VPS and it works well.  My provider uses Virtuozzo for the environment, though I've not really had to have any interaction with that part.

40hz:
I'm basically a Windows guy, so... looking to the far deeper pool of Linux experience here.

I do not need uber-awesome-can-do-anything - I just need "works for a CMS, email, and is easy enough to use that I don't lose hair."

I've not done Linux server admin before -- Windows only. So... new waters for me. (Used Linux servers, but not a tonne.)
-Renegade (October 03, 2012, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

It shouldn't be too much of a challenge if you already had some server experience. Servers are pretty much servers. The only real differences between them are the directory structures and filename conventions.

WHM/cPanel will get you where you want to go on your host site. You could also optionally install Webmin on your server once it's set up to help you handle all the little details. If you go to the Webmin link there's full info plus a live demo running under CentOS you can play with.

For a Linux server I'd seriously consider using CentOS. It's rock solid. And pretty much the industry standard (along with RHEL) for Linux servers.

Renegade:
I'm not a Linux person either, but I use CentOS/CPanel/WHM on my VPS and it works well.  My provider uses Virtuozzo for the environment, though I've not really had to have any interaction with that part.
-wraith808 (October 03, 2012, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does CPanel really make life easier? It's like $15 or $20 a month for a license at some places... At that rate, it had better be REALLY good and actually do work for me instead of me working for it... I'm not sure as I've not used CPanel in over 10 years, and can't remember what it is like even. But I figure it must be much better now anyways.

...a few minutes later...

Well, cPanel looks pretty good.

One very, very important question... Email server on Linux... CentOS specifically as I think I'm settled on that...

I really need a good email server that just works. And antispam. SpamAssassin I suppose.

A lot of these companies talk about everything except the details about what is on the server. I'd prefer to go with a well-configured server out of the box, and not have to muck around for several days trying to figure out which of this that and the other thing to install and configure.

Or am I worrying when I shouldn't be? (I know Windows servers quite well, and the different server software packages for it, but not for Linux so much.)

Renegade:
This is off-topic, but saw this "hosting provider"... cripes... just look at the page - it's a nightmare... And so bad that it's just funny.

http://www.edenphost.com/

Which of the 83474 reasons not to use them did you pick? :P

40hz:
I really need a good email server that just works.
-Renegade (October 03, 2012, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Current "smart money" seems to be betting on Dovecot. Dovecot has its own antispam plug-in. Spamassassin can also be integrated into most MTAs as well. But you're on your own with that. HowtoForge has walkthru tutorials you can look at to get an idea of whats involved. Do a search on the string "perfect server" for good how-tos on doing a complete server setup. They generally have one for each major distro and version.

FWIW, if you're primarily interested in more of a webmail solution (which is probably smarter if it's your server) take a look at Roundcube. I've been evaluating it and it's very impressive.

VPS Recommendations Anyone?

Look familiar?
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version