ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

VPS Recommendations Anyone?

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
I'd like to ditch my Windows server and get a Linux VPS in Canada. i.e. I want to ditch Windows, and I want to ditch the USA. (My current server is in Texas - good company, great product, but just want to bail out from there for reasons completely unrelated to the company - Softlayer.)

I'd also like to cut costs. I don't use enough of my server to really justify the cost. It's simply got too much idle time. A VPS would do what I need.

I really don't know the VPS market at all, and simply want to run a few web sites and email.

I want to run Wordpress and another LAMP stack FOSS CMS like Drupal or something. (Tried Joomla before, and hated it.) I'll be ditching my current CMS (DotNetNuke) and rebuilding sites. I think I'll likely go with Drupal as it has a very large community, and that makes life a LOT easier. 

I'll need a MySQL DB of course.

I'd like something with easy administration as I don't want to fart around playing "IT admin" all day - I just want things to work and forget about them.

Email is a must - antispam is also required.

I've been looking around some, but just have no idea who is reputable in this area.

Anyways, for those that are more knowledgeable about this than I am, please chime in.

f0dder:
FWIW: we used GoDaddy for a project I worked on some years, one of the cheaper VPSs since we didn't need much processing muscle. The software control panel wasn't impressive, but covered our needs, and the VM seemed to perform well enough. But the latency to Denmark was pretty bad.

PS: ditch MySql, and at least use the MariaDB fork (reason? whOracle)... or move to a real database like PostGres. Also consider ditching Apache in favor of nginx unless you need some of the complex things Apache can do.

wraith808:
FWIW: we used GoDaddy for a project I worked on some years, one of the cheaper VPSs since we didn't need much processing muscle. The software control panel wasn't impressive, but covered our needs, and the VM seemed to perform well enough. But the latency to Denmark was pretty bad.
-f0dder (October 02, 2012, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the ditch the USA would put that out of the running.  Or else I'd recommend LiquidWeb.  But I don't really know anything about anyone without a US presence.

40hz:
I don't know what your motivation for bailing out of a US host is. But of it's because of differences over where the US seems to be going with its Internet policies and legislation, from what I've been reading, Canada isn't too far behind. :(

Renegade:
I don't know what your motivation for bailing out of a US host is. But of it's because of differences over where the US seems to be going with its Internet policies and legislation, from what I've been reading, Canada isn't too far behind. :(
-40hz (October 02, 2012, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The difference is that I'm Canadian, and actually have some rights there.

SpoilerThe US doesn't even respect the right of its own citizens to live, and Canada hasn't crossed that bridge yet... cross fingers, tap on wood, etc. etc. Short story - Canada is easier for me to deal with and I'm less likely to be labeled a terrorist for saying something nasty about someone. I have no illusions about privacy, so there's really no trying to hide. Might as well hide out in the open. e.g. There's a blog post that I'd like to do right now (have wanted to for a while), but can't. And I couldn't even say what it's about. That would be illegal. Again, Canada is easier for me to deal with.

Thanks for the info on server software. I'm not particularly tied to anything specific, so PostgreSQL would be fine by me. It was an RDBMS long before MySQL was. I've not used nginx, but from what I've read, it's nice to use. Dunno. No real opinion on it. (I searched for exploits on it once and found nothing. I found that interesting.)

I'm most worried about finding a reputable company in Canada... And preferably in Toronto (or Ontario) if possible. Not married to that idea - but in Canada is pretty much mandatory -- I don't want to use black servers overseas either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version