ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to suspend HDD ?

(1/2) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi,
I have the following issue that I'd like to solve : quite often, at work, I have to remove my notebook from the dock and go somewhere else, for example to attend a meeting.  I usually put my PC to sleep before removing it from the dock, so that I don't have to move it when the HDD is still working.  But putting the PC to sleep takes quite some time, and also awaking it at destination.

Is there a simple utility that could park the HDD for a few minutes, without make the PC sleep ?  I suppose not, but one never knows...

Thanks.

PS : this PC is running XP Pro.

Stoic Joker:
Hot-Docking shouldn't be an issue as long as it isn't done violently.

MerleOne:
Docking is not the main issue, it's moving around the building, hitting door frames and so on when HDD is working.

Stoic Joker:
Dropping it could kill the hard drive. Bumping into a door/wall not so much. It would have to be a really freak accident, with somebody running full speed into a solid object at just the right angle..

Forcing the drive to park while the OS is running OTOH ... That could do some damage.

MerleOne:
Dropping it could kill the hard drive. Bumping into a door/wall not so much. It would have to be a really freak accident, with somebody running full speed into a solid object at just the right angle..

Forcing the drive to park while the OS is running OTOH ... That could do some damage.
-Stoic Joker (October 01, 2012, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I guess then it's either make the PC sleep or leave it running trying not to bump into something hard...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version