topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?  (Read 546187 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?
« Reply #975 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Interesting...

https://www.engadget...ocurrency-investors/

So... The government wants to "protect us" from the very thing that is supposed to protect us from the (fiat currency) government. o_O

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #976 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Interesting...

So... The government wants to "protect us" from the very thing that is supposed to protect us from the (fiat currency) government. o_O

Yeah, I don't get it. The SEC is saying "buyer beware," which is a basic tenet of cryptocurrency. Crypto puts the responsibility and ownership back in your own hands. But I guess this non-news is useful for people who have no idea what cryptocurrency is or how it works, and are just jumping on the bandwagon because they keep hearing about how much Bitcoin (and others) keeps going up.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #977 on: March 09, 2018, 01:03 AM »
Interesting...

Yeah, I don't get it. The SEC is saying "buyer beware," which is a basic tenet of cryptocurrency. Crypto puts the responsibility and ownership back in your own hands. But I guess this non-news is useful for people who have no idea what cryptocurrency is or how it works, and are just jumping on the bandwagon because they keep hearing about how much Bitcoin (and others) keeps going up.

Well, I didn't know if it was a scare tactic, a note that they couldn't regulate it, or a prelude to them trying to regulate it, based on "consumers losing money".

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2018, 12:08 AM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #979 on: March 11, 2018, 11:47 PM »
Well, I didn't know if it was a scare tactic, a note that they couldn't regulate it, or a prelude to them trying to regulate it, based on "consumers losing money".

I dunno. I just think it's a common sense statement. There's not really anything else the SEC can do, due to the uncensorable nature of cryptocurrencies. Even if they try to regulate cryptocurrencies, it kind of can't be done. If someone is determined to buy or sell crypto, there's nothing a law or regulation can do to prevent that or even make it especially difficult for someone to do.

A lot of people are used to being able to appeal to their banks or governments to recover funds in case of fraud. So I suppose it makes sense for an organization whose purpose (or one of their purposes) is to protect people from being scammed financially to say "watch out about cryptocurrencies, because we can't do anything about them." That is, if you lose all your money in a cryptocurrency scam, there's no way for any government authority to seize the crypto and return it (if the scammer has properly safeguarded their private key(s) and refuses to cooperate). Having organizations who can help protect/prevent/recover funds and regulations over things like this is definitely a convenience, but it comes at the cost of not truly owning your money. That is, it requires you to give up some of your freedoms over your money. The same bank/government that can help you recover your defrauded funds can also freeze your account(s), seize all your money, refuse to allow you to send money to people they don't like, not allow you to send/receive money because it's 3 AM or a weekend/holiday, etc.

Crypto grants you a lot of freedom over your own money, but it also comes at a cost of much greater personal responsibility to safeguard it and not be so careless with it. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #980 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I dunno. I just think it's a common sense statement. There's not really anything else the SEC can do, due to the uncensorable nature of cryptocurrencies. Even if they try to regulate cryptocurrencies, it kind of can't be done. If someone is determined to buy or sell crypto, there's nothing a law or regulation can do to prevent that or even make it especially difficult for someone to do.

We know that.  They don't.  They think they can regulate anything.  Especially if enough FUD is generated.  And using their simple tactics of very minimal power, it's likely they could brute force it.

Relevant:

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #981 on: March 12, 2018, 08:31 AM »
 ;D

Crypto currencies: everything you don't understand about money, combined with everything you don't understand about computers!
-John Oliver

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #982 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Great video.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:52 AM by mouser »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #983 on: March 14, 2018, 10:27 AM »
No Ads for Bitcoin: Google joins Facebook in banning them.

https://www.engadget...tocurrency-ads-june/

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #984 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Artist Hides Secret Code to $10,000 Worth of Cryptocurrencies in Lego Artworks.jpgDoes anyone here use Bitcoins?

Artist Hides Secret Code to $10,000 Worth of Cryptocurrencies in Lego Artworks

Art with intrinsic value?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #986 on: August 14, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Bitcoin is still a total disaster

comes across as a very snarky article (presumably by someone who is a fan of the status-quo), yet may have some valid points. I dont know enough myself to say.
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #987 on: August 14, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Bitcoin is still a total disaster

comes across as a very snarky article (presumably by someone who is a fan of the status-quo), yet may have some valid points. I dont know enough myself to say.

When this thread started, Bitcoin was $12.40.

So, not sure I take the WP seriously when it continually cries about the end of Bitcoin.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45 PM »
So, not sure I take the WP seriously when it continually cries about the end of Bitcoin.

Exactly.  They decry stability in a currency, but Bitcoin at this point is more like a well-performing stock at the beginning stages.

Torah

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #989 on: October 01, 2018, 03:21 AM »
As long as people trust that this currency has value, people will continue to invest in Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is an open-source software, so it has no central control with corrupt bankers and politicians, just really smart people working for free to keep it running.

Given all the problems we see in world economies, people are rapidly beginning to lose faith in conventional legal tender like the EUR and USD. Governments have demonstrated that they can seize your bank-accessible assets if necessary. With Bitcoin, this is not possible as they have no access to your funds. Your Bitcoin wallet is essentially your own bank. It’s similar to the idea of people stuffing cash into their mattresses, except this is a lot more profitable and accessible. People will perhaps one day refer to this era as the gold rush of the 21st century.

As Bitcoins continue to be mined they begin to create more value since more people begin to own them.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #990 on: October 01, 2018, 06:25 AM »
You're optimistic there Torah. A bit simplistic too: that an economy based on Bitcoin would be better is very debatable.

As Bitcoins continue to be mined they begin to create more value since more people begin to own them.
again seems very simplistic to me: the real value is fluctuating independent of the mining. Add to that -- mining costs more than Bitcoin is currently worth IIUC (or has that changed again?)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #991 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Bitcoin's main issue (in my point of view) is that transactions can take place immediately or take way too long, depending on your willingness to pay for the privilege to be put first on the queue of transactions. That is not only flawed for the person who wants to pay for goods/services, the person or company at the receiving end of the transaction cannot be sure when the transaction takes place and how much the value amount of the received bitcoin is at that moment.

Trading one miserable way of doing financial transactions for another....yay!

The concept of crypto currency is a good one, Bitcoin's implementation isn't.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #992 on: October 01, 2018, 02:07 PM »
You're optimistic there Torah. A bit simplistic too: that an economy based on Bitcoin would be better is very debatable.

It would objectively be better.

Fiat allows governments to debase their currencies. This is flat out theft from people. It steals purchasing power from them through inflation. It's criminal and they should be thrown in prison for it.

There is no such debasement with Bitcoin. That's objectively better.

Bitcoin's main issue (in my point of view) is that transactions can take place immediately or take way too long, depending on your willingness to pay for the privilege to be put first on the queue of transactions. That is not only flawed for the person who wants to pay for goods/services, the person or company at the receiving end of the transaction cannot be sure when the transaction takes place and how much the value amount of the received bitcoin is at that moment.

Trading one miserable way of doing financial transactions for another....yay!

The concept of crypto currency is a good one, Bitcoin's implementation isn't.

The Lightning Network solves those problems. Resolution is instantaneous and near free.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2018, 07:29 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #994 on: January 24, 2019, 06:08 PM »
A faster, more efficient cryptocurrency .jpgDoes anyone here use Bitcoins?

A faster, more efficient cryptocurrency

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #995 on: June 19, 2019, 05:44 PM »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #996 on: July 12, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Has anyone mined any of the Litecoin varieties and, if so, setup cost and return on investment thus far? I'm not about to use *coins for my savings account, but I am intrigued...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #997 on: July 12, 2019, 11:09 PM »
The largest argument against mining bitcoin: https://www.bbc.com/...logy-48853230?utm_ca

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #998 on: April 24, 2021, 08:28 AM »
So anyway I thought I'd lump this in with Bitcoin rather than start yet another crypto thread.

Not content with causing graphic card shortages it looks like we'll now have to contend with drive shortages caused by crypto.

Behold "Proof of Space and Time" crypto: Chia

Hard drive shortage ahead of debut

The sooner this planet suffers a zombie apocalypse, the better.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #999 on: July 10, 2021, 06:02 PM »
Is Solana Crypto's Hidden Gem_.jpgDoes anyone here use Bitcoins?

Is Solana Crypto's Hidden Gem?