ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (183/200) > >>

tomos:
just send beer. :D
-Stoic Joker (November 08, 2017, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll drink one for you ;-)

mine is a pils actually - been a long day, snooker on the tele - sláinte!

Deozaan:
My question is, does anyone here still use Bitcoin?

Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 300 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 226 bytes, this results in a fee of 67,800 satoshis.-https://bitcoinfees.earn.com
--- End quote ---

That's about $5 to send a transaction at current prices. And if you have a bunch of small amounts in different addresses, which is the recommended way to do it for privacy, transactions can easily be over 1,000 bytes (or over $20 in fees to send a transaction). And if you try to pay a lower fee, you could be waiting days before your transaction finally goes through, if it ever does.

I was really enthusiastic about it back in 2015 when I first really looked into Bitcoin for the first time, but now the fees are just way too high. Some of the major selling points (fast, virtually free) no longer seem to apply. :(

I still try to follow the news, and I still have some BTC, but I hate to use it because it's just so expensive these days. :(

mouser:
Due to encouragement of the bitcoin evangelists here on DC I did eventually provide a bitcoin address for people who wanted to donate to DC via bitcoin, back in 2015.

There have been a total of 12 payments received in that 2 year period.

Total received from those 12 payments was 287mBTC which apparently is worth about $2,000 USD currently  :huh:

tomos:
Total received from those 12 payments was 287mBTC which apparently is worth about $2,000 USD currently  :huh:
-mouser (November 08, 2017, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

wow, maybe it's time to cash in?
then again...

tomos:
That's about $5 to send a transaction at current prices. And if you have a bunch of small amounts in different addresses, which is the recommended way to do it for privacy, transactions can easily be over 1,000 bytes (or over $20 in fees to send a transaction). And if you try to pay a lower fee, you could be waiting days before your transaction finally goes through, if it ever does.
-Deozaan (November 08, 2017, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's ironic that it's so user-un-friendly, considering the opposite was the intention.
Was that covered here in this thread -- how that changed (I think it was, but I'm being a lazy beggar here - I mostly work on memory first, then search, but tonight I'm leaving out the search part...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version