ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (163/200) > >>

Deozaan:
Can you use CoinJar if you're not from AU?  Looks interesting...
-wraith808 (November 13, 2015, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade seemed to imply that it was only available within AU, or a lot of extra work if not. But, FWIW, Coinbase seems to offer pretty much the same service as CoinJar, except not the Credit/ATM card.

This is my hesitation in getting in...  I just want some for purchases, not for investment.  But it's *still* scary!
-wraith808 (November 13, 2015, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not a financial expert, but looking at a chart of the conversion rate for the past few months, Bitcoin seems to be in a slight bubble at the moment.

If I wanted to get some Bitcoin available for making purchases, but was afraid of the fluctuating value, I'd transfer some money to my Coinbase USD wallet and leave it there until I was ready to make a BTC payment. Then I could transfer the USD to my BTC wallet (for free, using Coinbase) when I was ready to make the payment in BTC, so the value of the BTC wouldn't have much time to fluctuate between converting USD->BTC and sending the BTC for payment.

But the thing you'd need to do is already have the USD set aside in an exchange such as Coinbase so that you can buy the BTC instantly instead of having to wait a week for bank transfers to go through.

Just my 2 satoshis. :P

P.S. If you do decide to use Coinbase, we'd both possibly benefit from you using my referral link I mentioned earlier. But I don't want people to think I'm just trying push for a referral, so I won't mention it again any time soon.

You can completely screw up any kind of "tracking" by doing 1 simple step from above and depositing into a new wallet. If anyone is tracking you, like an ad company, or marketing company, you've just screwed them by creating an entirely new wallet that isn't linked to you. They could try to do pattern matching, but honestly... that's grasping at straws and they're unlikely to ever be able to do that, ever.

(I am missing some highly technical points above, but I've been conservative. For more information you can look into how wallets treat "change". Also look into "dust". It's probably not worth your time.)-Renegade (November 13, 2015, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the more detailed response. Of course I'm not looking to get into anything illegal or even shady. Nevertheless I was curious about the idea of "cleaning" the wallet occasionally. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
What's funny is that both Asher and I have the same problems in using Coinjar due to neither of us being Australian.-Renegade (November 13, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you use CoinJar if you're not from AU?  Looks interesting...-wraith808 (November 13, 2015, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Reading through it, it doesn't seem to matter whether you're Australian or not, just that if you are then ID verification will be quick, (a lot of ID verification in Australia can be done online and/or a quick trip to a local PO), and you have the ability to link Australian bank accounts.

If you're a UK resident then you can deposit via an EEA based credit/debit card (with attendant fee) but apparently no bank account.

If you don't have an Australian bank account then the only way you could get your funds out would be to transfer everything in your CoinJar BTC wallet to another BTC exchange that would give you that facility.

ID verification probably isn't necessary for non-AU/UK residents because there's no way you can deposit/withdraw external funds (non-BTC) to/from your CoinJar, so in that respect it's nothing more than an online wallet.

@Ren: IIRC, you mentioned having an Australian bank account (in another thread) so I would have thought that apart from time taken to verify ID, (with a passport I assume), you would have been OK.

Was there something else I've missed reading in their FAQ/T&C?

Renegade:
@Ren: IIRC, you mentioned having an Australian bank account (in another thread) so I would have thought that apart from time taken to verify ID, (with a passport I assume), you would have been OK.

-4wd (November 14, 2015, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dammit. I'd share the issue if it were only for me, but I don't want to shed any light on Asher's situation. Sorry.

It is possible, but it is significantly more difficult. I'd mentioned Asher, so I don't want to disclose anything further. Suffice it to say that there's nothing notorious or nefarious going on. It's just that we both shared some common problems that made getting verified account significantly more difficult than for most people. It's a normal, average, every day kind of thing.

Thanks for the more detailed response. Of course I'm not looking to get into anything illegal or even shady. Nevertheless I was curious about the idea of "cleaning" the wallet occasionally. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (November 13, 2015, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't figure that were up to anything nasty or dangerous. :)

But these things are good to know for everyone.

The long and short is that if anyone wants to "clean" some money, they can. And that's a good thing. Your personal financial affairs are your business, and nobody should be able to stop you from doing with your money whatever you want to do. Financial freedom is a good thing.  :up:

4wd:

-4wd (November 14, 2015, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dammit. I'd share the issue if it were only for me, but I don't want to shed any light on Asher's situation. Sorry.-Renegade (November 15, 2015, 12:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Just for interest:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/watch-this-guy-explain-bitcoin-to-judge-judy

tl;dr - A scammer nails 2 people who both end up in Judge Judy's courtroom. Judge Judy makes a fool of herself as usual and... no spoilers. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version