topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?  (Read 546204 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?
« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2014, 10:50 AM »
That has got to be one of the more annoying webpages I have ever visited.

Do yourself a favor and just download and read their whitepaper which is a very interesting read.

And...e-hem! Linux beta "real soon now" but Windows version is available right out the door?

How do you operate truly a secure and anonymized exchange when you're allowing a closed and proprietary OS (with known backdoors) for a client into the chain? Dunno...it's all only as good as the weakest link. Learn about by all means - but proceed with caution. (Look at Tor. :redface:)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Mt. Gox, AFAIK was shut down because DHS filed for "probable cause" that Mt. Gox was transferring money illegally.

Your information is bad.

Just a follow up on the above: these sections are taken directly from the warrant issued to the DHS authorizing them to seize Mt. Gox's funds:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This:
gox.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this:
gox2.png

A copy of the full 7-page warrant can be downloaded here.

I knew I hadn't imagined it. ;) 8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2014, 09:10 PM »
^ The US govt. stealing funds is a separate issue, though it did contribute to it. Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2014, 11:19 PM »
The US govt. stealing funds is a separate issue, though it did contribute to it.

Much like shooting someone in the head a dozen times is a separate issue even if it did, in some measure, contribute to that same someone's demise? Or cleaning out a store's entire inventory and padlocking the doors had some bearing on it going out of business?

While I'm sure there's some desire to save face over the whole Gox affaire, the simple fact is: the US government wanted Gox gone, found a legal argument to torpedo it - and lo and behold - it was gone! It's being in Japan didn't matter. Which raises an interesting question...why did they really want it gone, and why did Japan do zilch (in real terms) to intervene. Could it be that no government anywhere is very welcoming of crypto-currencies to begin with - unless it's to put a cramp in somebody else's monetary system or policy?

Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )

About all I can say to that is: In addition to politics there is something called realpolitik.

If I had to place a bet (even in Bitcoins) I'd be inclined to give odds on the second rather than the first. "Ultima ratio regum" as the old saying (and present reality) goes.
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:38 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: July 06, 2014, 01:23 AM »
Mt. Gox is in Japan, and the DHS has no authority there and can't force Japanese courts to be their thugs. (Theoretically... ;) )

About all I can say to that is: In addition to politics there is something called realpolitik.

If I had to place a bet (even in Bitcoins) I'd be inclined to give odds on the second rather than the first. "Ultima ratio regum" as the old saying (and present reality) goes.
 ;)

Hey! Get your own schtick! Resident conspiracy theorist is mine~! :P ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: July 06, 2014, 01:31 AM »
Hey! Get your own schtick! Resident conspiracy theorist is mine~! :P ;D

It's all yours.

Resident "chronically depressed student of history" however, is MINE! It's my precious... :P ;D

BTW...I don't think it's a conspiracy. Crypto-currencies attempt to function as a system of exchange outside the sphere of government. I don't think you'll find any government willing going along with that idea. And national governments certainly have the 'resources' to put some teeth behind their...umm...lack of enthusiasm for it, shall we say? ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:37 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: July 07, 2014, 06:33 AM »
From a while back:

http://www.forbes.co...art-of-bailout-deal/

Spain Forced To Impose Haircuts On Savers, Private Investors As Part Of Bailout Deal

Now:

http://www.reuters.c...dUSL6N0PF2SF20140704

Spain says to charge tax of 0.03 percent on bank deposits

Bail-ins are so yesterday. The new thing is "tax". ;)

Might be small now, but... we all know how that goes.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: July 09, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Some Bitcoin news:

In light of the IRS declaring that bitcoins are property...

"Damn what the law is, we're going to have our cake and eat it too!" - Judge presiding over Ross Ulbricht case.

http://www.wired.com...-bitcoin-isnt-money/

The government and legal community may still be arguing over whether bitcoin can be defined as “money.” But the judge presiding over the landmark Silk Road drug case has declared that it’s at least close enough to get you locked up for money laundering.

In a ruling released Wednesday, Judge Katherine Forrest denied a motion by Ross Ulbricht, the 30-year-old alleged creator of the Silk Road billion-dollar online drug bazaar, to dismiss all criminal charges against him. Those charges include narcotics trafficking conspiracy, money laundering, and hacking conspiracy charges, as well as a “continuing criminal enterprise” charge that’s better known as the “kingpin” statute used to prosecute criminal gang and cartel leaders.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/...s/485478065959493632

I’ll give $10 to @Free_Ross for each RT. If guilty, he’s a hero. If innocent, he needs help. http://freeross.org/...gephoto-from-prison/

Has racked up over $150,000 in donations from Roger Ver, aka "Bitcoin Jesus".

The Mellons getting into Bitcoin:

http://www.forbes.co...her-howd-they-do-it/

But unexpectedly he asks the waiter to take away his cellphones, fearing Snowden-style eavesdropping. And then the scion of America’s most enduring banking family lets it fly: “I feel like citizens are fed up with banksters,” using a term the Occupy Wall Street crowd would surely approve. Politicians receive similar disdain: “We need to live in a more transparent, free democracy. The more secretive America becomes, the more dangerous it is.” The solution, Mellon says, is Bitcoin, and he’s invested $2 million to start an incubator for Bitcoin companies, convinced virtual currency will replace the dollar bill. “The banks are going to be scratching their heads,” he says, a smile encroaching on his high cheekbones.

Did he just say "banksters"?!?!

A former US Mint director chimes in on Bitcoin:

http://www.coindesk....-bitcoin-regulators/

...the digital currency has increased in prominence, prompting Moy to declare bitcoin “a disruptor to the traditional notions of currency” in May.

Why US bitcoin regulation is failing

Despite the promise of bitcoin technology, an unclear regulatory landscape makes it difficult for businesses in the US market to develop. At the heart of the problem, says Moy, is a lack of cohesive regulatory language that defines digital currency.

He said:

“Bitcoin is not just one thing. It’s not just currency, it’s not just a payment system, it’s a protocol – there’s multiple things that cross over into many different turfs of government.”

“Every agency has to look at bitcoin from the perspective of what their agency does. So the Commodities Futures Trading Commission looks at bitcoin as a commodity, because it complies with all the issues that commodities applies with. The Federal Trade Commission looks at this as a bartering issue, as a trading issue; the FEC looks at it from an investment perspective; the IRS looks at it as a taxable event.”

So, see the above bit about the judge that wants to have his cake and eat it too. ;)

And what new disruptive technology would be complete without PRON~! ;D

A press release from Hustler:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2043884

HUSTLER.com, the leader in adult entertainment, is offering an unprecedented level of member discretion thanks to a partnership with digital currency payment processor, GoCoin.

Starting today, anyone who pays for their HUSTLER.com subscription with digital currencies bitcoin, litecoin or dogecoin will receive a special lifetime membership for just $500. To take advantage of this exclusive offer, visit www.HUSTLER.com.

"It's well known that the adult entertainment industry is often an early adopter and driver of new technologies," said GoCoin Founder and CEO, Steve Beauregard. "HUSTLER is continuing this trend by embracing not only bitcoin, but other emerging digital currencies as well."

It appears Hustler is going for Doge style~! :P

And speaking of doge, an excellent compilation of some fun dogecoin images:

http://imgur.com/a/SBgIl

The Visual Capitalist has created an infographic on BTC vs. banking:

http://www.visualcap...em-infographic-2.png

The graphic is large, so, in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Adding to the endless streams of merchants flocking to Bitcoin, SilverGoldBull has added BTC:

https://silvergoldbull.com/payment

For those unaware, SGB is a large precious metals online dealer. I've bought through them, and they're excellent. Very often you'll find they have the best prices.

And if you'd like to WIN some bitcoins, Virtex is sponsoring a contest:

http://lovebitcoin.co/

Purpose:

Bitcoin is one of the most impressive innovations of our lifetime. #lovebitcoin is about sharing and educating the world about the benefits and showcasing the passion. CAVIRTEX and Saucal believe in the spirit of Bitcoin are proud to sponsor this contest.

Rules:

• Record a video telling the world why you love bitcoin and upload it to YouTube or Instagram with the hashtag #lovebitcoin in the title.
  • All videos will be automatically entered.
  • Keep it short and sweet.
  • Keep it classy (no swearing, no nudity, no racism, etc).
  • Use the hashtag #lovebitcoin to create awareness and promote your video.
  • Post a bitcoin public address in the video description so we know where to send the prize if you are selected.
  • The video’s should be recorded in English or have English subtitles.
  • Winners will be selected by a panel of 3 judges chosen by CAVIRTEX and Saucal.

Prizes:

The prize pool will begin at 1 BTC but in the spirit of Bitcoin the pool will be a public address that is open for additional sponsorship. Don’t you #lovebitcoin?

• Ultimate Grand Supreme Bitcoin Lover – 50%
  • Grand Supreme Bitcoin Lover – 25%
  • Supreme Bitcoin Lover – 10%
  • Super Bitcoin Lover – 5% (3 available)

Criteria for judging:

Videos will be judged with the following in mind:

• Originality & Creativity
  • Popularity & Virality
  • Passion & Enthusiasm
  • Quality

And that's all just a tiny bit of the average news on any given bitcoin day. :)  :Thmbsup:

Even the MSM is having a hard time writing hit pieces on Bitcoin now and the vast majority of MSM articles are bullish. Oh, which reminds me... There was a hit piece the other day! "Terrurists! Safety! AML!"

http://news.sky.com/...-funded-with-bitcoin

Global Jihad 'Could Be Funded With Bitcoin'

Donations supporting "violent physical struggle" would be "untrackable" by Western governments, says an ISIS-linked blog.

A new blog associated with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has said that bitcoin could "enable jihad on a large scale" by sending "millions of dollars" to fighters.

In a post called "Bitcoin and the Charity of Violent Physical Struggle", the author argues such donations would be "untrackable" by Western governments.

Nobody is buying that nonsense. ;)

http://libertyblitzk...-is-scared-to-death/

http://www.reddit.co...coin_piece_is_phony/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: July 10, 2014, 06:21 AM »
Oh, and if you're in New Zealand ;), you can pay for your ISP service in BTC now!

http://www.stuff.co....w-accepting-bitcoins

Slingshot now accepting bitcoins

Internet provider Slingshot has begun accepting payment in Bitcoins.

General manager Taryn Hamilton said he expected the ability to pay in the virtual currency would appeal to the "small, but passionate Bitcoin user base".

"We're a web company, so it seems fitting to accept the world's premier web currency," he said.

A bit more at the link.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2014, 08:31 AM »
MAJOR writeup in Wired about Bitcoin, Dark Wallet, Amir & Cody, Silk Road, Open Bazaar, Liberator, regulation, crypto-anarchy...

http://www.wired.com.../inside-dark-wallet/

THREAT LEVEL

DarkWalletFeature6_f.jpgDoes anyone here use Bitcoins?

DARK WALLET

Amir Taaki and Cody Wilson are cruising north through Texas on Interstate 35 in the 4:30 am predawn darkness. One of the headlights on the aging BMW Wilson’s driving is burned out, and he’s wearing sunglasses. “They’re prescription,” he says drily.

It’s May Day, every anarchist’s favorite holiday, and the two 26-year-olds have marked the occasion by releasing a piece of software that represents their best attempt so far to undermine every government in the world. A call from a lawyer friend has reminded them that creative US prosecutors might hit them with conspiracy or other charges. So they’ve decided to skip town.

Half an hour earlier, they pulled out of Wilson’s apartment in Austin and began the long nighttime drive to Dallas, where Wilson has booked Taaki a last-minute flight to Barcelona. Taaki has friends there living in a squat in an abandoned police station. Wilson himself plans to lay low in his hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas. A 29-year-old Canadian friend, cryptographer Peter Todd, is riding along in the back seat.

A LOT more at the link. (About 5,800 words.)

There's something for everyone in there to love and hate.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: July 11, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Interesting read, thanks for the link  :up:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Bitcoin through your TV? If you're in Finland, yes.

http://beta.slashdot...g/submission/3694105

"Finnish national digital TV broadcaster Digita co-operates with startup company Koodilehto to start transmission of Bitcoin blockchain and transactions in Terrestrial Digital TV (DVB-T) signal that covers almost the entire Finnish population of 5 million people. The pilot broadcasting starts in September the 1st and lasts two months. The broadcast can be received by a computer with any DVB-T adapter like this $20 dongle. Commercial production phase is planned to begin later this year."

It's happening.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: July 12, 2014, 07:26 AM »
It's happening.

It's being embraced by a channel broadcaster of (pop. 5 million) Finland? Now that is a major breakthrough. :P

(Sounds like some sharp Finnish entrepreneurs are looking to become the Royal Caymans equivalent of cryptocurrency before the banks in Switzerland and Monaco decide to jump in on it. Somebody must have read The Mouse that Roared and got inspired.)

FWIW I'll agree Bitcoin is poised for something soon. I'm guessing that just as soon as it becomes fully licensed and government regulated it's adoption will be global.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:43 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: July 12, 2014, 07:42 AM »
It's happening.

And as soon as it becomes fully licensed and government regulated it will be universal. :P

I wish people would stop talking about things this way - it's inaccurate and skews the conversation to things that just ain't gonna happen. Bitcoin cannot be regulated. The game is over. It's done. Insert another quarter, but you don't get to continue.

You can regulate what PEOPLE do. But the Bitcoin cat is out of the bag.

Bitcoin is FLOSS software. Can anyone regulate Apache or Linux? It's like that.

TPTB can make laws and regulations about what people do with Bitcoin, but they can't dictate what Bitcoin is or isn't. That game is over.

The conversation needs to be more along the lines of, "this is what you are legally allowed to do with Bitcoin and this is the pain we're going to inflict on you if you don't do what we say." That would at least be more accurate and far more honest. (Of course it would need to be worded less honestly...)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: July 12, 2014, 07:47 AM »
and skews the conversation to things that just ain't gonna happen. Bitcoin cannot be regulated. The game is over. It's done. Insert another quarter, but you don't get to continue.

So says Renegade - who is wise and can predict our collective future with 100% accuracy.  ;) ;D

A prophet is always without honor in his own country.  :(

----------------------------

He also brew up a helluva fine Ginger Ale! (Thanks for the recipe and suggestions btw!) :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55 AM »

Bitcoin is FLOSS software. Can anyone regulate Apache or Linux?

Hate to say it, but they most certainly can. FLOSS is not immune to government interference and regulation. Both directly and (more insidiously) indirectly. (see: China, Russia, N. Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the USA, ...)

Just like that other great piece of technology that was supposed to liberate us all and serve as the absolute check on the power government: the Internet.

The intelligence agencies of the world are still laughing themselves to silly over that one.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: July 12, 2014, 10:14 AM »

Bitcoin is FLOSS software. Can anyone regulate Apache or Linux?

Hate to say it, but they most certainly can. FLOSS is not immune to government interference and regulation. Both directly and (more insidiously) indirectly. (see: China, Russia, N. Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the USA, ...)

Just like that other great piece of technology that was supposed to liberate us all and serve as the absolute check on the power government: the Internet.

The intelligence agencies of the world are still laughing themselves to silly over that one.

You're not describing regulation there, unless you mean outside of the judicial sense and instead mean the broader concept (control). But that's not what we were talking about -- we were talking about regulation in the judicial sense.

What you've described would be better phrased as "subverted".

Can governments regulate (in the judicial sense)? No. They can't. That ship has sailed. (See here and here for a couple examples of why that is.)

It just ain't gonna happen. Period.

Will they regulate? YES! BUT. NOT. BITCOIN!

They will regulate HUMAN BEHAVIOUR. They can do that. They can say what you can do with BTC and what you can't do with it.

But they sure as guns ain't gonna crack open vi and gcc. They can't. It's a decentralised network!!! Everyone else needs to agree, and that ain't gonna happen.

Can governments interfere/subvert? Of course.

tl;dr - Regulate (judicial sense) = not possible, Subvert/interfere = very possible.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: July 12, 2014, 10:16 AM »
He also brew up a helluva fine Ginger Ale! (Thanks for the recipe and suggestions btw!) :Thmbsup:

Give 'er a shot & tell me what you think. Expect it to be dry though. I actually picked up some ale and champagne yeasts to give it another shot with a more polished approach. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31 PM »

Give 'er a shot & tell me what you think. Expect it to be dry though. I actually picked up some ale and champagne yeasts to give it another shot with a more polished approach. :)

Trying it with a very nice pale ale yeast I've had some very good luck with in the past. S/B interesting to see how it comes out.

Also thinking of trying for a honey-ginger mead...hmm...

Maybe we should start a separate homebrew thread for this?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: July 12, 2014, 01:16 PM »

Are they? I'm not so sure. Yes, they have done a fine job of playing catch-up ... But they're now where near the front of the pack of who control the information flow. Case in point, we're currently two from the USA nobodies, that are having a conversation with a guy in Australia, while folks from all over the planet watch and can chime in ... That's hardly restrictive.

Now yes, yes, yes ... I'm sure there are plenty of malevolent bits of garbage that are also cataloging the discussion in some subterranean bunker for the expressed purpose of "stamping-out-evil" or some other brand of stunning bullshit. But the point is the tightly spin controlled to the point of being Spoon Feed Crap by the MSM TPTB had on people is a 50s era thing of the past ... Because the truth really is out there to be had by anyone with the compunction to do a Google search.

Remember the concept of the self fulfilling prophecy, and add to that the knowledge that no one really has any power over you unless you give it to them. If we continuously function solely based on the assumption that TPTB have total control over everything ... Then they very soon really will. And we will all die very quietly whenever and wherever we are told too.

As a byproduct of the 70s, I saw Screw the Man! ...And I always will.

ediblesound

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scalable Existence
« Reply #570 on: July 12, 2014, 03:31 PM »
http://thefourcorner...r-to-good-works.html
https://sites.google...peaceful-inhabitants

This may be encouraging and inspiring to a meaningful extent in light of the many many opinions that flurry about down the rabbit hole.

It seems to me to be the archetypal balance between uniperspective and polyperspective (like experiencable meta-awareness, super-empathy, entelechy) of intelligent systems, and I find great peace it seems in looking at the whole apparent goings on in a perspective of looking at living intelligent "self"-organizing systems and self-regulating momentum of existential seeming perpetuation in defiance of any notion of entropy at every increment.

The ostensible continuing evidence that we are here STILL to BEGIN WITH, I think is overwhelmingly persuasive that infinity is boundless and that limitations and "scarcities" are limited and perceptual in nature,—artifacts of the mechanism of interpreting perception—, and that alternative perception provides alternative experience with ever rearrangeable arrangements, rather than just nominal limits; and further that

Complications are compounded simplicities juxtaposed; just like the emergence of programing from zero to any dimensioned language representation and linked dependencies and reconfigurable interdependancies of objects!

I suggest that the soultion is a simple as before the problem ever was, as there being a natural symmetry from one through many to whole, like the rebirth archetype and the process of expansionary static persistence outside of and from which all dimension, measure and allotment comes; and as  A circle  with consistent degrees yet a floating radius maintains ever applicable scalability!

Peace and exuberance I will for the best for all!

I also suggest that the media for valuation representation ("money", commodities, and so on) transfer will naturally float with that which is valuatable! Like the idea of pegging the conjuring of new transactional credits / units to the six year agricultural averages per land patent  area, and so on-- as value is inextricable with the semi-subjective perceptual experience of nature itself, where the assay of land as a foundation of property becomes key, and yet the continuing transmission of all such utility makes it seemingly ultimately necessary for a floating or transmission essentially in some balance of step and sync of all title right with as well the very ebb and flow of nature itself (trusts)- we naturally a part of that-— it all becomes a matter of crust crumble melt and float of monetary tectonics - very much like variously described in the links I've posted here.
 enjoy in joy!!

This might be interesting for some:

Bitcoin copper rounds.

Now, they are ornamental, and only for collectors. Also, if you are into purchasing metals as a way to store wealth, you have to be braindead to buy them - but that goes for pretty much all copper rounds, and not just those. (They are overpriced by a LOT! Silver or gold are much better buys, and particularly silver.)

Anyways, just thought it might be interesting for some people here. Gimmicky? Sure. Fun? Definitely! :)

maybe at the moment…;-0)  I think those are cool, nice designs, how many more are possible?!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:35 PM by ediblesound »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Remember the concept of the self fulfilling prophecy, and add to that the knowledge that no one really has any power over you unless you give it to them. If we continuously function solely based on the assumption that TPTB have total control over everything ... Then they very soon really will. And we will all die very quietly whenever and wherever we are told too.

^ THIS!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: July 12, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Trying it with a very nice pale ale yeast I've had some very good luck with in the past. S/B interesting to see how it comes out.

Ah! I didn't know that you'd given it a spin before!

Also thinking of trying for a honey-ginger mead...hmm...

I'm thinking about adding in some organic honey that hasn't been filtered to death for my next batch of ginger ale. The more complex sugars aren't so easily broken down so... err...

Maybe we should start a separate homebrew thread for this?

Yes. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Coin Prism lets you create colored coins:

https://www.coinprism.com/

It's a kind of wallet service.

http://coloredcoins.org/

The open source standard for decentralized exchange
Colored Coins is a colored bitcoin minting and exchange protocol that works on top of an existing blockchain infrastructure

Basically, you can colour a coin to represent anything, e.g. your house, a car, some stocks, a coupon/voucher, whatever, and then pass that around.

For example, say you own a hardware shop and you want to issue coupons for $50 off of a new lawn mower. You can issue those in Bitcoins. When someone pays for one of your lawn mowers and sends you one of the coloured coins that you created, you can then redeem it as a $50 coupon.

You could, at the time of sale, give out 0.0001 BTC in coloured coins that are redeemable for next month's specials. It would cost you a few cents, but it would bring in more business... because somebody would create an online marketplace to trade coloured coins and a customer could sell their $50 off lawn mower coupon for $10 (or 0.01 BTC or whatever) or trade for another coloured coin coupon (or whatever). Everyone would win.

You could issue concert tickets like this.

What can you imagine?

And it works on the Bitcoin blockchain.

Can you do that with credit cards or cash? ;)

Hint: It's happening. ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: July 13, 2014, 08:01 AM »

^ THIS!

Lest what I am saying be misconstrued, I'll spell it out a little more bluntly...

As a product of the anti-war (Viet Nam) era I too say "speak truth to power."

But with the caveat you know what you are getting into if you are genuinely serious. (I don't count 99.999% of the blog and forum crowd in that category.) Real revolutions are not conducted quietly over a cup of tea while online with a laptop. They eventually show up on the street (e.g. the Occupy movement, Ukraine, etc.) once they really start rolling.

And when they do, the odds and rules shift dramatically.

Most movements that want disruptive change are long on verbiage, sometime good on tactics, and absolutely pitiful when it comes to long-term strategy.

Most are also extremely impatient, and attempt to push their agenda through without gaining broad and vocal public support. (Why must so many would-be revolutionaries be such closet elitists? More worthwhile social movements have been sunk by somebody's ego and big mouth than ever were by "the Man.")

This sort of attempt is not a genteel parlour game." To borrow from the Declaration of Independence:

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

As Franklin so succinctly put it: We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

Something to think about when it comes to pushing for disruptive change.
 :)