topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?  (Read 546220 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does anyone here use Bitcoins?
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Truthfully, I can see why- for the same reason I don't use direct deposit in many cases.  Leaves a money trail that can be reversed.  Tracing is fine... it's the reversal that alarms me.

I'm not OK with tracing. It's none of my business what other people do with their money, and it's nobody else's business what I do with mine.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43 PM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35 PM »
I'm not OK with tracing. It's none of my business what other people do with their money, and it's nobody else's business what I do with mine.

Well, not OK in terms of that's ok... but given that there's a money trail with everything right now, it's a given.  Being able to take what you have given... that's a larger transgression.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Well, this isn't really exactly "Bitcoin", but is is VERY relevant. It's what you can do with "Bitcoin" the technology...

Huntercoin.

It's a crypto currency game. It's the future of gaming. It will revolutionize gaming from here on in.

Bitcoin is the future, and Huntercoin is the proof of concept for the wider application of crypto currencies.

I know a lot of you are still skeptical...

Check this thread and this thread.

Huntercoin is a game where you can get PAID to play! Seriously! It's craziness! I cashed in about $250 USD today! Really! And that was just a small portion of what I made in the game! It's just bonkers! I don't mean to gloat, but yeah, I'm going to gloat for the sake of all the skeptics out there! :P Nyah nyah~! :P :D Hahaahah~! :D

<----- SEE! Even CODY loves coins~!

I WISH I COULD GET PAID TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES.

How many times did you say that when you were a kid? I KNOW you did. Every kid did.

Now, I'm not a big gamer, and I already do get paid to play some games (I do work in the gaming industry), but this? This is entirely fresh, innovative, imaginative, new, supendous, incredible, heroic! Or FIINISH for short.

In Huntercoin, you run around the map collecting coins and stealing coins from other players. You return to your spawning area to cash out your coins. BUT! On your way back, people will try to steal your coins. So, you need to be smart about it. You need to use some strategy. etc. etc. etc.

And the entire game is played on the blockchain - a cryptographically secure ledger.

If you have some extra time, and think you'd like to make a few coins, then this is a no brainer.

Now... For the skeptics...

You heard about Bitcoin.

You might have heard about Namecoin.

Perhaps you have heard of Digitalcoin.

They all have functions over and above being a currency. They all innovate in some pretty wild ways.

Huntercoin brings a new innovation to the table where you play games in the blockchain, have fun, and make money at the same time!

Now... Someone please tell me why crypto is going to fail! :P I dare ya~! :P ;D

Get in on the game before the bots do. ;) :P

And this is just 1 new innovation in crypto currencies. What else will come out next? What else will we see? I bet few people saw that one coming! :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: February 10, 2014, 06:20 AM »
THIS IS TOO AWESOME FOR WORDS~!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42 AM »
MORE PURE AWESOMENESS~!

Video is cued:

http://www.youtube.c...jy6XIBnThpY#t=20m40s

"F*ck off. Bitcoin works just fine." - Andreas Antonopolous

In other news, China is GOBBLING UP Bitcoin...

http://www.fiatleak.com/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: February 10, 2014, 09:14 PM »
ANDREAS ANTONOPOLOUS EPITOMIZES PURE AWESOMENESS~!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Hardly unexpected. Where there's money, there's games being played. It was only a matter of time before one of the big players stumbled. It happens to banks. It happens to businesses. It happens to governments. Why should BItcoin exchanges be any different?

BTC robs the authoritarians of the possibility of knowing what people have, and further robs the kleptocrats of the possibility of stealing people's money.[/b][/size] (Oh certainly they create laws to call their theft "legal", but it's still theft.)

Got news! It ain't just the authoritarians and kleptocrats that rob people blind. Surprise! :huh:

Y'know, I just had a thought: if the powers that be really wanted to hurt Bitcoin, right now all they'd need to do is shrug and say "Oh well!" about the theft - and decline to get involved or open an investigation...Looks like Japan has already decided to do exactly that.

Consider: It's private and anonymous by design. There's no transaction trails. No provable ownership of accounts. No direct path of responsibility. No insurance or regulatory requirements in place. No laws broken...so where could the regulators or police possibly step in to assist? AMF-YOYO! :mrgreen:

And lacking any sort of official status, how do you even establish a legally recognized monetary value for the claimed loss? It's only what the Bitcoin community has chosen to say it's worth. So an argument could be made that despite the claimed value, bitcoins have no real monetary value. Which raises an interesting question as to whether a theft has even been committed.

Such are the risks of going off on your own and insisting on complete independence from any established societal frameworks.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:18 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: February 25, 2014, 02:36 PM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox goes offline amid turmoil

You were saying...?

Not to be overly simplistic, but if they are trying to protest something in Tokyo - Japan... - Why are the signs in English?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47 PM »
From Arizona's link:
When it froze withdrawals earlier this month, the company cited a software bug that allowed people to "use the Bitcoin network to alter transaction details to make it seem like a sending of bitcoins to a bitcoin wallet did not occur when in fact it did occur."

"The problem we have identified is not limited to MtGox, and affects all transactions where Bitcoins are being sent to a third party," Mt. Gox added in a statement on its website.

It will be very interesting to hear exactly what happened - I presume it will come out as some stage.

You were saying...?
and you are saying ... ? :P

if the powers that be really wanted to hurt Bitcoin, right now all they'd need to do is shrug and say "Oh well!" about the theft - and decline to get involved or open an investigation...Looks like Japan has already decided to do exactly that.

Consider: It's private and anonymous by design. There's no transaction trails. No provable ownership of accounts. No direct path of responsibility. No insurance or regulatory requirements in place. No laws broken...so where could the regulators or police possibly step in to assist?

As you say, I dont think there's much that they can do anyway.
I dont see regulation or government backing as a saviour of Bitcoin. I think the governments dont know how to regulate Bitcoin itself - okay, the exchanges could be regulated as you say. Me, I'd like to see it succeeding in spite of no government regulation or backing.

I dont have any Bitcoin -- but if I did -- from what I've read and listened to (e.g. Andreas Antonopolous) I would not be using an exchange anyway - I'd be keeping my Bitcoin offline (I dont even have a clue how to do that but apparently there are ways). But going back to the quote at the top of the post, this might even not be enough.
Tom

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23 PM »
The economist Nouriel Roubini tweeted the following analysis of Bitcoin this past weekend:

Apart from a base 4 criminal activities, Bitcoin is not a currency as it is not a unit of account or a means of payments or store of value
Bitcoin is not a unit of account as no price of goods and services is set in Bitcoin unit nor it ever will. So it isn't a currency
Bitcoin isn't means of payment as few transactions in Bitcoin. And given its volatility all who accept it convert it right back into $/€/¥
Bitcoin isn't a store of value as little wealth is in Bitcoin and no assets in it. Also given price volatility it is a lousy store of value
So Bitcoin isn't a currency. It is btw a Ponzi game and a conduit for criminal/illegal activities. And it isn't safe given hacking of it.

Pretty much my own feelings on the topic.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13 AM »
Bitcoin is not a unit of account as no price of goods and services is set in Bitcoin unit nor it ever will.

Wrong.  There are several legitimate businesses that accept it as a form of tender.  And there are more than a few that accept only bitcoin.

And given its volatility all who accept it convert it right back into $/€/¥

That's patently incorrect.

And it isn't safe given hacking of it.

Repeat after me.  Bitcoin has not been hacked.  There have been no instances of Bitcoin itself being hacked.  The exchanges and markets have been hacked, yes.  But that's a problem for people who didn't store their funds safely.  It's like saying that the dollar isn't safe because some people had their funds stolen from/by an investment firm.

I'm not a bitcoin apologist.  As with any currency it has upsides and downsides.  You have to make a risk assessment and go in with your blinders off.  But I hate so called experts spreading FUD with a stamp of their expertise.  I hate that on anything, truth be told.

Deal in the unadulterated facts, and if you don't know the facts and aren't willing to do research on it, then you aren't qualified to weigh in.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39 AM »
I'm not a bitcoin apologist.  As with any currency it has upsides and downsides.  You have to make a risk assessment and go in with your blinders off.  But I hate so called experts spreading FUD with a stamp of their expertise.  I hate that on anything, truth be told.

a big plus one here - on all counts (I'm also *not* a bitcoin apologist).

That was a very lame 'analysis' (by Nouriel Roubini)...
Tom

drummerjdb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: April 24, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Forgive me for not having the time to search through 21 pages to see if this has been asked before,  But i've been putting Dr.Windows on friends/family's machines for about 6 years now as well as using screenshot captor. 

I think with the amount of people I've told about Donationcoder.com in this time that would suffice as a small donation but I am curious as to why there is no bitcoin address listed to be able to donate in bitcoin? :tellme: 

Because screw paypal,visa,mastercard!!!   :P

Maybe you guys could just create an account at coinbase.com, or any of the other places people wanting to donate would be able to send you some btc or alts?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Because screw paypal,visa,mastercard!!!   :P

+1  8)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Darkwallet alpha is out:

http://darkwallet.is/

Let there be dark! :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: April 25, 2014, 11:09 AM »
I need to set up a bitcoin account somewhere for receiving donations -- Renegade was telling me how to do it but I dropped the ball.  Stay tuned.

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: April 25, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Or just install the bitcoin wallet to a server somewhere and write a payment handler to use the wallet RPC for generating donation addresses and crediting incoming payments. Bitcoin doesn't need a third party payment processor like fiat currencies do. The wallet daemon provides a JSON-formatted RPC to use for making your own and not having to deal with the fees.

What gets you on such a project is the sheer size of the blockchains. They can get to be a few gigabytes in size.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:43 PM by SeraphimLabs »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2014, 01:09 AM »
I need to set up a bitcoin account somewhere for receiving donations -- Renegade was telling me how to do it but I dropped the ball.  Stay tuned.

All you need is an address. ;)

In other news... here's Adam Kokesh interviewing Andreas Antonopolous!

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: June 09, 2014, 03:44 AM »
For a good laugh:

Better to start here:

http://youtu.be/lEWdPe6uACg?t=35m20s

But if you only have 10 seconds and not 30 seconds, start here:

http://youtu.be/lEWdPe6uACg?t=35m53s

;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I was going to post this in the Basement where we have an actual discussion, though slow. But, decided to post it here as it's simply too good:

https://blog.ethereu...g/2014/06/19/mining/

It's long, so I'll only paste the really good part:

The second approach is somewhat different: create a mechanism for generating new hash functions, and make the space of functions that it generates so large that the kind of computer best suited to processing them is by definition completely generalized, ie. a CPU. This approach gets close to being “provably ASIC resistant” and thus more future-proof, rather than focusing on specific aspects like memory, but it too is imperfect; there will always be at least some parts of a CPU that will prove to be extraneous in such an algorithm and can be removed for efficiency. However, the quest is not for perfect ASIC resistance; rather, the challenge is to achieve what we can call “economic ASIC resistance” – building an ASIC should not be worth it.

If you understand that, it's damn good. If you don't understand it, it's an excellent example of using a layer of abstraction to solve a difficult problem.

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49 AM »
Speaking of Bitcoin... If you don't know it already, I recommend checking out PurseIO (no referral!) / PurseIO (with referral!).

It provide two services:
  • A way to spend bitcoins on Amazon, with an incentive/discount
  • A way for who haven't bitcoins to acquire them, using a familiar environment (Amazon!), paying with a CC, for a premium

It's basically a marketplace for Amazon whishlists, and it works perfectly.
You create a wishlist on Amazon, copy&paste the link to create an offer on PurseIO, and select the markup that will be your discount, and put the corresponding bitcoins in escrow. It takes 2 minutes.
Then if/when someone find the price & markup reasonable, they'll buy the item from Amazon for you. When you'll receive it and confirm, the bitcoins will be released.

I just tried some days ago with something small (a Chromecast), with a 16% discount, and it all went perfectly.
No need to wait for Amazon to accept bitcoins!  ;D

P.S. PurseIO just activated a referral program, so I added a link with it as well. :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:06 PM by Mark0, Reason: Added referral link »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Speaking of Bitcoin... If you don't know it already, I recommend checking out PurseIO (no referral!).

It provide two services:
  • A way to spend bitcoins on Amazon, with an incentive/discount
  • A way for who haven't bitcoins to acquire them, using a familiar environment (Amazon!), paying with a CC, for a premium

It's basically a marketplace for Amazon whishlists, and it works perfectly.
You create a wishlist on Amazon, copy&paste the link to create an offer on PurseIO, and select the markup that will be your discount, and put the corresponding bitcoins in escrow. It takes 2 minutes.
Then if/when someone find the price & markup reasonable, they'll buy the item from Amazon for you. When you'll receive it and confirm, the bitcoins will be released.

I just tried some days ago with something small (a Chromecast), with a 16% discount, and it all went perfectly.
No need to wait for Amazon to accept bitcoins!  ;D

Nice!

People have been screaming for Amazon to accept BTC, so these fellows might just help push that a long a bit.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Actually, I'm amazed governments weren't in on this from day one. What an ideal way to fund covert activities and black ops. Or handle bribes campaign contributions. They've turned a blind eye toward (or at the very least tolerated) numbered Swiss bank accounts, numerous Istituto per le Opere di Religione shenanigans, and offshore banks for that very reason. So much easier to transact with than blood diamonds too.

Maybe these "democratic" governments need to rethink their position on crypto-currencies. Ya think? :P