ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does anyone here use Bitcoins?

<< < (58/200) > >>

Arizona Hot:

Tracing Bitcoins May be Easier Than Criminals Think  MIT Technology Review

Takes some of the shine off bitcoins doesn't it?

Renegade:
(see attachment in previous post)
Tracing Bitcoins May be Easier Than Criminals Think  MIT Technology Review

Takes some of the shine off bitcoins doesn't it?
-Arizona Hot (September 07, 2013, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hit piece drivel title designed to scare people. Pfft. Big surprise.

“The Bitcoin protocol still has huge potential for anonymity,” says Sarah Meiklejohn, who led the research project, “but the way that people are using it is not achieving anonymity at all.”
--- End quote ---

People who need anonymity can do their own homework to figure it out. Bitcoin is pseudononymous. It is not designed for strong anonymity. Creating confusion like this is disingenuous. But, big surprise seeing more of it.

Here's a similar complaint...

My car does really well at driving through puddles, but dammit... it just isn't a submarine. Be careful people! Your car may not be a submarine!  :-\

Arizona Hot:
Another article for the bitcoin fans.

Let's Cut Through the Bitcoin Hype A Hacker-Entrepreneur's Take

Renegade:
Another article for the bitcoin fans.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Let's Cut Through the Bitcoin Hype A Hacker-Entrepreneur's Take
-Arizona Hot (September 10, 2013, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was SPECTACULARLY middle of the road! A very nice read!

I did like this little bit:

Nothing made by humans is ever free of politics or even error.

Not even math...
--- End quote ---

And this:

Fighting over what’s “fiat” and what’s “real” is silly. It’s all fiat. Gold isn’t conscious; all value is belief. What’s fiat is who can change the supply and how. Nobody can just declare the existence of one million new bitcoin and start trading on it. It doesn’t matter how much we do or don’t trust the U.S. Federal Reserve, the system knows how many bitcoin exist at what time, and knows where they all are, globally.
--- End quote ---

Different currencies have different strengths and weaknesses. e.g. Bitcoin can NEVER replace a roll of quarters. :P ;D

40hz:
^Correct! They can't replace a roll of quarters. Their bid price is far too high to be useful for making small purchases. And you can't break somebody's jaw with a Bitcoin, whereas a good solid punch delivered while holding a roll of quarters certainly can.  :P

More seriously, the really curious thing (to me) about Bitcoin is that it keeps being put forward as a currency while most Bitcoin owners I speak to seem to be primarily interested in hoarding them as an investment.

Currency as currency is useless unless it circulates freely. Bitcoins seem more like Kuggerrands or Canadian Maple Leaf gold coins or those triple-struck mint coins various governments sell to collectors.  You could spend them. But hardly anybody ever does.
 :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version