topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nice short article on how people quickly scan pages and its implications  (Read 4787 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Nice short article on how people quickly scan pages and what it means for web developers

Eyetracking visualizations show that users often read Web pages in an F-shaped pattern: two horizontal stripes followed by a vertical stripe...

from useit.com

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very interesting article, straight to the point, and a good read.
It's unbelievable how it's right. And how the human mind follows some kind of parameters.
The truth is that i find myself reading stuff like that too.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Obviosly the reading pattern will have something to do with how the layout of the site is done. I'd be much more interested in some tests that show how easily users lose interest / are confused by various site layouts. For example, something like slashdot tries to cram too much information onto the screen - but it's still only a pretty mild case.
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, mouser!

I followed a link on that site and found http://www.useit.com...ertbox/20040217.html :

Summary:
E-newsletters that are informative, convenient, and timely are often preferred over other media. However, a new study found that only 11% of newsletters were read thoroughly, so layout and content scannability are paramount.

Obviosly the reading pattern will have something to do with how the layout of the site is done. I'd be much more interested in some tests that show how easily users lose interest / are confused by various site layouts. For example, something like slashdot tries to cram too much information onto the screen - but it's still only a pretty mild case.
You are totally right. A site has to 'come to the point' in a reasonably amount of time - and with bazillions of other sites out there the user is just one click away from going to another/a better one.