topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What web sites would deserve more attention?  (Read 12571 times)

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What web sites would deserve more attention?
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:08 PM »
So, anyway, because Google kicked my web out of AdSense (they have probably upgraded one of their automated filters and I had a Chuck Norris icon on my web :'( - see also this topic posted by Renegade https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32381.0 ), I have decided to run a series of free promotions (placing banners where the ads used to be) on my web and draw a bit of attention to worthy internet places.

The place that came to my mind first was DonationCoder and I have posted banners pointing here on my web. I would like to switch the promoted web site every few days and I am looking for suggestions. What web sites would deserve a bit of free promotion? If you know a perfect candidate, please leave a reply here or on my blog http://www.rw-designer.com/entry/883

Thanks...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What web sites would deserve more attention?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:37 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Open Culture

What is Open Culture’s Mission?

Open Culture brings together high-quality cultural & educational media for the worldwide lifelong learning community. Web 2.0 has given us great amounts of intelligent audio and video. It’s all free. It’s all enriching. But it’s also scattered across the web, and not easy to find. Our whole mission is to centralize this content, curate it, and give you access to this high quality content whenever and wherever you want it. Free audio books, free online courses, free movies, free language lessons, free ebooks and other enriching content — it’s all here. Open Culture was founded in 2006.

Nerds in Babeland

About

What are some things the female nerd community would like to hear/chat or what do you “nerd out” about?

This group is intended to provide something of a co-op for female nerds/geeks/whathaveyou to come and talk about their nerddom. We want everyone to have a chance to chat and want to hear the voices of all nerds across the world! Come join us!

ManyBooks

ManyBooks.net
the best ebooks at the best price: free!

Browse through the most popular titles, recommendations, or recent reviews from our visitors. Perhaps you'll find something interesting in the special collections. There are more than 29,000 eBooks available for Kindle, Nook, iPad and most other eReaders, and they're all free! If you still can't decide what to read you might want to browse through some covers to see what strikes your fancy. Or try the Recent Additions to the library, with genre filter.

And that's just for openers! ;D 8) :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38 PM »
The big 3 of the DonationCoder blog sounds apt:

App's Cranial Soup
http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/

Skwire's Blog
http://skwire.dcmemb...om/fp/?page=software

and I forgot the other. Could be used to reserve mouser's kickstarter page.

I also think not many people know that Yandex is the new no hassle e-mail account registration service.

DuckDuckGo still has a long way to go.

Ifttt.com is always an underrated service.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 02:34 AM »
App's Cranial Soup
http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/

If you are going to suggest linking to any of my blogs, perhaps my art blog would be a better choice, since it would be more contextually relevant to the pages he would be displaying it on. His visitors might even find some stuff on the blog to make icon sets out of. (lots of CC-BY licensed goodies)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 03:13 AM »
What web sites would deserve a bit of free promotion? If you know a perfect candidate, please leave a reply here or on my blog http://www.rw-designer.com/entry/883
So you seem to think yours does?  :P

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, some of them will make it to the final list, please keep them coming...  :)

I think the next project, I'll try to draw a bit of attention to, will be ReactOS. With Microsoft making Windows more and more closed, ReactOS may play an important role in the future.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:08 AM »
With Microsoft making Windows more and more closed
Huh? Where/why/what?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I think the next project, I'll try to draw a bit of attention to, will be ReactOS. With Microsoft making Windows more and more closed, ReactOS may play an important role in the future.

IMO ReactOS has no future. Like Mono, it's been left alone because it isn't presently viewed as a threat. The day ReactOS starts getting popular, Microsoft will litigate it out of existence.

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:11 AM »
It is true that ReactOS has not advanced too much in the past months/years, but it would be great if it succeeded. It is not that easy to kill an open source project. The recent Oracle-Google case about copyright-ability of API and a similar case in EU seem to indicate re-implementing an API is OK, which is a good foundation for ReactOS legitimacy.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15 AM »
The place that came to my mind first was DonationCoder and I have posted banners pointing here on my web.

Thank you, that is very sweet  :-*

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Another good site deserving of a little more love is Distrowatch.  :Thmbsup:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

It is true that ReactOS has not advanced too much in the past months/years, but it would be great if it succeeded.

I agree completely. It's also good to see a 'built from scratch' alternative to Linux/BSD.

We don't want to get all our eggs out of one basket, only to replace it with a different single basket.

It is not that easy to kill an open source project.

Disagree on that point somewhat. Most open source projects are very easy to buy out, kill, corrupt, or cripple if somebody makes the effort to do so. Fortunately, ReactOS is a world unto itself so there's good hope it will be spared much of the nonsense and machinations going on in the bigger FOSS/GNU/Linux/GPL world.

In the end it's mostly up to the project's community of developers. ReactOS seems to have a good one. So lets keep our fingers crossed and wish them well.

The recent Oracle-Google case about copyright-ability of API and a similar case in EU seem to indicate re-implementing an API is OK, which is a good foundation for ReactOS legitimacy.

Also agree - but only up to a point. Because that only covers situations where the legal arguments make some sense and are based on some possible version of reality.

When true behemoths (like Microsoft or Apple) go up against a small project that states up front the following on it's homepage, it  gives attorneys a huge amount of running room for making a case for IP violations:

ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows-NT® architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level. This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the unix architecture.

And when it comes to APIs and other "parts' of some big company's product offerings you need to be equally careful. Take Mono. It's a trojan horse AFAIC. The time will come when Microsoft lowers the boom. Expect it when Ballmer finally decides to quit the helm. He'll do the "dying general going out with a bang" routine. And initiating the Mono takedown will be his swan song. If it succeeds, it's a feather in his cap. If it causes a huge backlash, he'll be gone and a convenient scapegoat if Micorosoft needs to backpedal. Microsoft will be covered either way.

In the meantime, the 'sellout' Nix distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse will work out some sort of a license deal making them the only sanctioned platforms for anything that uses Mono. Which plays into Microsoft's grand strategy: first, drive a wedge into the Linux community and separate out the people who "play the game" (by Microsoft's rules), from those that refuse. And then pick off the holdouts one by one. Probably starting with the smallest (but still popular) distro in order to establish early legal precedent for their arguments.

I personally think Microsoft's real problem with Linux, and FOSS in general, is that so much of it is available at no charge. That is where they see the real threat - allowing people to expect to get usable and good quality software for free.

I think if most Linux distros and FOSS packages generally charged something, even as little as $1 - $5 a copy (like iOS apps) for a download, Microsoft would be breathing a lot easier. Because "free" is the one word Microsoft doesn't ever want to see regularly paired with the word 'software' - no matter who is doing the pairing.

It's all a matter of managing customer expectations. Or, in Microsoft's case, of lowering them. 8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:17 AM by 40hz »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Because "free" is the one word Microsoft doesn't ever want to see regularly paired with the word 'software' - no matter who is doing the pairing.
Depends. Microsoft has a lot of free software available.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Because "free" is the one word Microsoft doesn't ever want to see regularly paired with the word 'software' - no matter who is doing the pairing.

I think 40hz is right there.

"Free" software from MS is only for software that supports one of their platforms in one way or another.

How many pieces of free software does MS publish for OS X or Linux? (And that isn't meant to support one of their products on that platform.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:18 AM »
"Free" software from MS is only for software that supports one of their platforms in one way or another.

So?

Is there any free Canonical software for Windows?

Just asking.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20 AM »

Which runs on their proprietary "not free" operating system. ;)

Clever of them, don't ya think?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Which runs on their proprietary "not free" operating system. ;)
Oh, I'd guess Microsoft has Powerpoint Viewer for Mac or something.
"Proprietary" as a knock-out? Well, bye Linux then, too, huh?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:24 AM »

http://www.ubuntu.co...res/music-and-mobile

Audacity for one.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Audacity is not a Canonical software.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Um...Canonical makes software for Linux...Microsoft makes software for Windows?

However, the WUBI installer allows you to install Ubuntu inside of Windows if that counts.

And Wine will allow some Windows applications to work under Linux - not that Microsoft has anything to do with that. It's just another FOSS project.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 11:31 AM »

Out of curiosity, are you actually going someplace with any of this - or is this just the usual game of devil's advocate you're playing?
 :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Um...Canonical makes software for Linux...Microsoft makes software for Windows?
Precisely. So what is the point of the fact that Microsoft only provides free software for their own environment? So does everyone else.

Out of curiosity, are you going someplace with any of this - or is this just the usual game of devil's advocate you're playing?
 :)
I just wanted to show why bashing Microsoft while praising "FOSS" companies is plain wrong.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I just wanted to show why bashing Microsoft while praising "FOSS" companies is plain wrong.

I don't think anybody is trying to do that. :-\

Now do v-man a favor and suggest a good website so we can get his thread back on topic. :) :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38 AM »
You actually did.

A good website? Deserving more attention? Mine aside?
Uhm. What about http://www.bonkersworld.net/ or smth?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 11:42 AM »

I guess I'm confusing Canonical there. Happens.