ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... "Why is it" Websites/services

<< < (2/4) > >>

barney:
Maybe someone who knows how to use search might find it - I keep getting compare wikis or compare prices :-(
-tomos (September 28, 2012, 03:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was what triggered this post - six (6) - and still going - pages of price comparisons or game stuff (RuneScape figured quite heavily  ;D) before I stopped :huh:.

SeraphimLabs:
Not sure about sites or services for this, but I can tell you one of those.

Pure nitroglycerine is a very highly shock sensitive liquid, known to detonate if someone yells in it's presence or bumps the container.

Dynamite is Nitroglycerine that has been mixed with Clay. The clay makes it easy to shape into sticks, and stable enough to be safely handled. To detonate dynamite, you need to hit it with something else. Using a hammer is not recommended, so normally a blasting cap is used to provide the initial jolt. In the old days these blasting caps were nothing more than a small gunpowder cartridge, like a firecracker. Today they are a specialty pyrotechnic device that ignites electrically for precise control of when and how the dynamite is detonated.

barney:
Not sure about sites or services for this, but I can tell you one of those.

Pure nitroglycerine is a very highly shock sensitive liquid, known to detonate if someone yells in it's presence or bumps the container.

Dynamite is Nitroglycerine that has been mixed with Clay. The clay makes it easy to shape into sticks, and stable enough to be safely handled. To detonate dynamite, you need to hit it with something else. Using a hammer is not recommended, so normally a blasting cap is used to provide the initial jolt. In the old days these blasting caps were nothing more than a small gunpowder cartridge, like a firecracker. Today they are a specialty pyrotechnic device that ignites electrically for precise control of when and how the dynamite is detonated.
-SeraphimLabs (September 29, 2012, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, understood - that was an example, btw  ;).  Take a look at The Straight Dope for an example of a Web site that does some of what has been mentioned.  That might make the concepts clearer.

tomos:
Take a look at The Straight Dope for an example of a Web site that does some of what has been mentioned.
-barney (September 29, 2012, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Didn't think of that - it's very informative, entertaining, (and the main man can be very, eh, judgemental at times). I'd say roughly the same about the very active associated forums.

I actually mean that as a fairly positive review ;-)

barney:
Didn't think of that - it's very informative, entertaining, (and the main man can be very, eh, judgemental at times). I'd say roughly the same about the very active associated forums.
-tomos (September 29, 2012, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep.  Almost anything of this nature will have some sort of authorial slant.  'Bout the only exception would be papers having to do with philology/lexicology/etymology - 'cause of peer review (assuming a formal paper).

However, even if some elements are inaccurate, they provide a starting place when you are interested and want to follow up. 

Many such sites tend to lack the investigative thoroughness  of, say Snopes, FactCheck.org, TechDirt.  And a number of them, like TechDirt or the aforementioned The Straight Dope may be opinionated.  However, even knowing that, you still have a starting place when you want more information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version