ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

<< < (6/9) > >>

40hz:
I once joked I'd like to use one of those Dysan bladeless fans for it. -40hz (September 30, 2012, 07:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting idea - Dyson makes some pretty awesome stuff. The first time I saw one of those bladeless blowers, it was almost indistinguishable from magic :-)

-f0dder (September 30, 2012, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

My only question is how much (if any) electrical interference is caused by it. I'm guessing not much since he's got UI approval (in the USA) and those [people look very carefully at electrical and RF interference measurements before they ok a product for consumer home use.

And to your point about magic, it is pretty magical when you see one in operation. :-* I'm impressed every time. Very clever insight he had about it being the fan motor, and especially the blades that are responsible for almost all the sound emanating from a fan. Something military submarine designers figured out years ago when they addressed the similar problems of engine noise and propeller "cavitation."

8)

superboyac:
I like Lian Li's stuff, very nice.  So check this out, this is called PC-D8000 and it holds up to 20 hard drive, yes!  And it looks like it shouldn't be as loud as the normal rack stuff with the 120/140mm fans.
Barebone server: what else do I need to complete it?

Looks like this will be my case then.

superboyac:
I like the CaseLabs products as well.

It doesn't seem like these cases are very loud.  I saw a few videos with enthusiasts using water cooling, and the cases weren't that loud at all.  But none of them are using a lot of hard drives, most of them have just a couple.  I think they like the big case for the space to put the water cooling system, but I'm not sure.  Why buy such a huge case if you're not going to stuff it with drives?

f0dder:
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) while your amount of harddrives are going to require *some* cooling, even if you end up with very silent cooling the vibration from the harddrives are going to make a fair amount of noise. You'll want the case to be massive, not the flimsy few-millimetres-thick that even high-quality cases usually are made of.
2) even if you put in power supplies that are ridiculously over-specced (which you shouldn't), be sure to set the harddrives to "staggered spinupw" (or Powered-Up-In-Standby) individually before you attempt turning on the system that's been finally assembled with 20 disks.

superboyac:
A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) while your amount of harddrives are going to require *some* cooling, even if you end up with very silent cooling the vibration from the harddrives are going to make a fair amount of noise. You'll want the case to be massive, not the flimsy few-millimetres-thick that even high-quality cases usually are made of.
2) even if you put in power supplies that are ridiculously over-specced (which you shouldn't), be sure to set the harddrives to "staggered spinupw" (or Powered-Up-In-Standby) individually before you attempt turning on the system that's been finally assembled with 20 disks.
-f0dder (October 03, 2012, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Are you saying the Lian Li case is not thick enough?  What are my alternatives?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version